Rosary’s Most Musical Royals

Hayley Johnson, Staff Writer

Amidst the unpredictable whirlwind of events that have surrounded this year’s COVID-19 outbreak, many of our Royal musicians have been taking time to keep in vocal and instrumental shape. Girls in the senior class in particular, which is full of talented musicians, have been practicing their instruments and learning new material regularly.

Vanesa Farooq ‘20, a gifted cellist, takes time every week to practice and keep up with her friends at Orange County Youth Symphony. “I’m doing Zoom lessons with my cello teacher every week,” she shares, “and I just started a new concerto to play for my college auditions in September, but I’m also prepping four pieces to play for my senior recital in (maybe) July.” Vanesa, along with the rest of the seniors, remains hopeful that all of the performances that were scheduled for this spring are able to take place.

Vanesa Farooq ’20 posing with Sophia Kondo ’22 after a performance at Rosary. Photo by Bertha De La Torre.

Another skilled Rosary instrumentalist, Bernadette Hattouni ‘20, is using her musical abilities to be productive and to de-stress while at home. “Music is and always has been an outlet for me,” she says. “I’m able to forget about my stresses when I play, and I love looking up new music to teach myself.” Although Berna and the rest of Mr. Rodriguez’s students may not be able to have their spring concert, they are still planning to find a creative way to perform together before the school year ends.

Senior Maddy Gomez, a “fantastick” singer, is currently spending much of her time preparing for Tri-School Theatre’s production of The Fantasticks. “Since we’ve pushed the spring show into the summertime, everyone in the cast is working to keep in vocal and physical shape so we’re able to perform to the best of our abilities once we can all be together again,” she told the Royal Reporter. “I’ve also been giving my voice somewhat of a rest, since I have so much time off and I want it to be in the best shape possible.” Make sure to support Tri-School once they are able to put on their spring production.

Maddy Gomez ’20 posing with her Tri-School binder at home. Photo by Peyton Gomez.

These seniors, among many others at Rosary, have been pushing through this tough time in a positive way, fueled by the things they are passionate about. We cannot wait to see the results of all of their hard work and dedication, either online or in person as we near the end of the school year.