The Fantasticks: Virtual Edition

Cast members watching the rehearsal video on Zoom. Photo by Ryan Bass.

Allison Perea, Staff Writer

While we are all practicing social distancing, Tri-School Theatre students have been taking this time to keep rehearsing for their upcoming show, The Fantasticks. The original dates were April 30- May 3, but due to recent government updates and advice from the Diocese of Orange, Tri-School has decided to postpone the show to a later, undetermined date. In the meantime, the actors are still working really hard to be sure that there is a show ready to go when the time comes.

Hayley Johnson and Allison Perea on Facetime rehearsing their lines. Photo by Hayley Johnson.

When we are in school, Tri-School Theatre has rehearsals on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 3:30-6:30. For virtual rehearsals, Mr. Marrone, the Artistic Director of Tri-School Theatre and Director of The Fantasticks, sends them videos direct from his kitchen table at 3:30 about parts of the show to refresh their memory.

The videos mainly review lessons from the beginning of the rehearsal process, so while the actors are at home they don’t forget the things they have blocked and choreographed. “I enjoy virtual rehearsal because I am able to keep practicing the things I learned at Servite, as well as be sure that I am ready to perform with short notice,” said Senior Maddy Gomez, who is starring as Luisa in the red cast. Hayley Johnson’20 also plays Luisa in the blue cast. The two work together to be sure they are on the same page and can each put on their best performance

Servite Junior Samuel George, who plays Matt, watching the rehearsal videos. Photo by Bella George.

Virtual rehearsals have posed a few challenges. The version of the show that Tri-School is putting on is very movement heavy and requires all actors to be present in rehearsals to make it happen. However, currently no actors can be present in rehearsal and it’s very difficult to do dances over video. “The most difficult part about virtual rehearsals is not being able to see everyone, which makes it hard to work off each other and learn more about the show,” said Servite Junior Ryan Bass, who is playing Mortimer in the show.

Claire Early’20 taking a selfie with the rehearsal video. Photo by Claire Early.

Tri-Schoolers are staying connected through Facetime and Zoom and trying to make the best of the situation. You should plan on supporting their hard work sometime in the near future when they are able to perform their show. It’s sure to be one you don’t want to miss.