AP Exams Take New Form in Quarantine

Alicia Ventura, Staff Writer

In a time where days have become longer and the future has become uncertain, many people have wondered what comes next? CoVID-19 has caused the cancelation of trips, major tests, and even major league sports games.

APUSH students have worked hard all year and are encouraged to take the AP exam despite the changes to the test.
Photo Provided by Brooke Bowen ’21

Now that almost everything has been canceled, it has left students with AP classes wondering what will happen with their AP tests. Time in quarantine does not seem to have an end in sight and it seems more unlikely that the test will be taken in person.

AP Lang students got two wonderful teachers to prepare them for their AP exam and are more than capable of passing even if the test has been changed.
Photo Provided By Noelle Bermudez ’21

According to the official College Board website, students will no longer have to attend the actual test and will have to take it online. All AP tests are to be 45-minutes rather than the traditional 3-hour long test and consist of content learned up until early March.

Some AP students and even teachers have been wondering why College Board did not cancel the tests altogether. According to College Board, they “surveyed 18,000 AP students and 91% indicated they want to complete this important step, urging us not to cancel this opportunity they have been working toward.” This data shows that most AP students remain eager to receive the credit and opportunity to be placed in a higher level class in college despite the uncertainty of this year.

Nicole Rodriguez, a senior, testified to this research when she told the Royal Reporter, “I think that it is good the tests did not get canceled because a lot of students dedicate a lot of time studying and [they] rely on AP classes to help them get into college.”

In the end, whether or not the student thinks that times are too stressful to take the test or they are just simply not prepared, College Board has given students who have already paid, the chance to opt-out for no additional charge.

Although opting out is an easier, painless option, Rosary AP teachers are still encouraging their students to take the exam.

Ms. Barclay, Rosary’s AP English Language and Composition teacher, explained how students have an obligation to take the AP exam if they “are prepared for their exam or…don’t have much content left to learn.” She used her own AP Lang class as an example and pointed out “we are down to one unit, and with some hard work on their own, each of my students can and should pass the test.”

Ms. Barclay continued, “I believe in having goals, and right now goals are more important than ever before.  Believe it or not, our goals keep us going . . . even when we can’t physically go anywhere.”

Dr. Lang, Rosary’s current AP U.S History teacher, emphasized the hard work each student had put into the year and encouraged his students to take the AP exam by saying, “Even in a 45-minute test, you have the chance to show the College Board what you’ve learned and walk away with college credit. I wouldn’t pass up that opportunity.”

College Board has been at work making sure that taking AP tests is as easy as possible by making tests accessible on any device including mobile phones, continuing to provide free resources for students through exam day, and giving students two test dates in case they would rather take the test sooner with freshly learned information.

They explained how their solutions are “meant to be as simple and lightweight as possible for both students and teachers — without creating additional burdens for school leaders during this time.”

Despite the future looking unpredictable, both Rosary students and teachers seem very confident that the odds are in their favor. They know that even with the drastic change in the test, they will be able to obtain the credit they deserve.