Water Polo Wins CIF

The+water+polo+team+together+after+their+win.+Photo+provided+by+Amelia+Gonzalez+%2720.+

The water polo team together after their win. Photo provided by Amelia Gonzalez '20.

Maryann Compton, Staff Editor

On Saturday February 22nd, Rosary’s varsity water polo team won CIF, defeating Martin Luther King High School 9-7 in a riveting final. The game was played at the Woolett Center in Irvine and was graced by a double rainbow as the Royals took home the top spot.  It has been 21 years since the Royals won a CIF Championship, so the team was ecstatic. 

Amelia Gonzalez ‘20 explains, “During the game I wasn’t really thinking, I was just playing. I knew that we were not getting out of this pool and leaving without a win under our belt. There literally was no option for us except to win.” She also goes on to say, “My team played outstanding. We were so ready and built up for the game. We didn’t know it yet but this is what we were preparing for from the start of the season. We played as if we were on top of the world and the only direction to go was up and that’s what we did.”

Coach Bevins being pushed into the pool followed by his players after their win. Photo provided by Amelia Gonzalez ’20.

Alexys Puche ‘21 also explains her feelings during the game, “I was kind of hungry but mostly I was just really excited to kick some butt, which we did.”

The seniors were very proud and excited to have won a CIF after their four years of being a part of Rosary’s varsity water polo team. Sophomore Elizabeth Harita explains, “I not only played hard for myself but for my senior sisters.”

In response to the water polo team winning, the team celebrated with dinner after. The next day at school, they drew on water polo coach Rory Bevins’ car in excitement. 

Students next to Mr. Bevins’ car. Photo by Emily Shank ’20.

Mr.Bevins explains, “I was very proud of the team and excited for the seniors because we got to see their hard work pay off, and see them win a championship.”

During the game, many students and faculty showed up to support our Royal athletes. English teacher Ms.Young explained, “As a fellow water polo athlete, and fan, I was having anxiety attacks during the game, while also being very proud of all of them. I got frustrated when I realized the general lack of respect for water polo until people came to the game, and see how hard the athletes work. I was very happy to see how many girls came out to watch.”

Julia Oskorus ‘20 also attended the game and expressed, “It was so nerve wracking when the other team would score. However, when the Royals would score I got excited. Overall the game was so fun and I had a blast watching.”

The Rosary community is above and beyond proud of our water polo team, and is proud to add another CIF championship banner to our Karcher Center walls. If you haven’t been to a water polo game, the Royals are playing on Friday at Ocean View High School for the state playoffs. Wish them luck if you see them in the halls!