A Royal Blood Drive

Allison Perea, Staff Writer

Rosary Academy has got lots of things going on this time of year. On top of Red and Gold and our typical tests and homework, we’ve got many opportunities to serve the dear neighbor happening around campus. This past Friday, February 5, down in the Karcher Center, the Red Cross was here to host a blood drive for our community.

We had a great turn out from students, teachers, and parents. There is always a deficiency of blood, and hospitals are in desperate need of it.  According to the Red Cross, every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood and only 3% of age-eligible people donate blood. Ms. Lancotot said, “People need to donate because we cannot manufacture blood, so we rely on the goodwill of people to save lives. Every donation can be separated into three units which can save up to three lives.” 

Ms. Lanctot is excited to see you at the blood drive. Photo by Allison Perea.

On top of the satisfaction of knowing that you saved 3 people, you also get the opportunity to get points for your Red and Gold team. If you are eager to be the winning team, then you will bring your entire family to rack up those crucial points with 3 weeks left in the season. “These points could be the difference between winning and losing. I donated blood because it will help lots of people,” stated Maddy Gomez’20

The Red Cross needs your help. Photo by tecom.

The director of the blood drive, Ms. Lanctot, gave us some good tips for donating blood. “If you’re going to donate, eat a good meal and hydrate for 24 hours before the donation. The more hydrated you are, the faster the donation and the more comfortable the experience you will have.”

It’s time to rack up those Red and Gold points while doing our duty as Catholics: serving others in any way we can.