Red-y. Set. GOLD. (Part 1)

Red-y. Set. GOLD. (Part 1)

Riley Hawkins '20 and Megan Kendall '20 rock their Red and Gold attire after kickoff. Photo by Abby Tice

Isabella Tejeda, Staff Editor

Red and Gold captains dominated the Karcher Center with this year’s annual kickoff on Friday, January 31. Kickoff is when the entire student body (besides those designated as captains or white team) find out what team and category they are in for Red and Gold. It’s also the day captains from each team arrive on campus before sunrise to race and transform the school into a Red and Gold covered campus. Posters, streamers, post-it notes, and even the Tik Tok famous string worms, fill the hallways and bathrooms before the clock strikes 7 a.m.

Later, both teams and ASB perform small skits to reveal their team mascot. After the revealing of the mascots, both teams meet and talk through the script with the students on their team, and finally they meet with their individual categories. It’s a fun and exciting day for everyone and is one of Rosary’s most exciting traditions.

Gold captains, Riley Hawkins ’20 and Marysol Cazarez ’21, pose for the camera. Photo by Lanie Adamsen

ASB and White Team kicked off the assembly with their own skit, which revealed this year’s Red and Gold theme. The theme’s skit consisted white team acting as old ladies, reflecting on their lives. After meeting at the 50th Red and Gold, white team began discussing their most memorable moments from the past. Within the skit were six mini skits of magical moments in white team’s life, such as baby taking her first steps, first day of attending school, getting a driver’s license, graduating, going to college, and getting married. In the end, white team came together and announced that the theme of this year’s Red and Gold is “A Magic Moment.” Lara Macatangay ‘20 states, “This year was definitely my favorite kickoff. Being on ASB, we actually had the opportunity to sleep, which was definitely my favorite since I need my sleep. I found out Friday (1/31/20) that I was on red dance.”

ASB Seniors spending their last kickoff together. Photo by Nicola Huerta

Both teams entered the Karcher Center with a lot of energy, going back and forth with spirit, cheers, and chants. Red performed their skit first and put on a basketball game between modern celebrities, such as Elsa from Frozen and Ariana Grande, versus the teaching staff, such as Mr. Yoon, Mr. Bevins, and most of the English department. In the end, they reveal the Mascot to be the Red Hikers. Julia Toth ‘20, producer of the red team, tells Royal Reporter about what preparation was like, “It went so much more smoothly than I expected. I’m so proud of my team. They’ve been working so hard these past months that kickoff night was actually quite relaxing and fun.” Taylor Bastidas ‘21, Red Team’s Tech Captain said, “The process of kickoff for Red this year was very well organized by our producers and all the other captains on our team. There were a lot of stations and assembly lines to ensure everything got down efficiently. I think the best part of kickoff was the sleep-deprived conversations we were all having. I have a lot of friends on Gold this year, but I don’t feel a divide between us at all.”

Red portraying their huge canvas near the lunch tables. Photo by Kate Noden

Next up was the Gold team. Carpool Karaoke was the move for their skit featuring celebrities such as the Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber, and even, Ms. Young. They had different celebrities show off their talents throughout their car trip. When they got to their destination, a camping ground, they revealed their mascot to be the Gold Campers. Caylee Santos ‘20 explains,“This is my first year being a captain, and it has been a lot of fun. I am a captain of dance, and although it has been really hard finding songs and choreographing the dance, I am super excited to see how it turns out.” When asked if preparation was hard or easy, Marysol Cazarez ‘21, co-producer of Gold team says, “Preparation was pretty easy for us. Riley and I went to Starbucks to film the Robarazzi scene. I think we did a great job at kickoff. There were definitely some places where the two teams dominated, but overall, I am proud of what we accomplished and I can’t wait for the next three weeks.”

Gold’s poster representing a famous Disney movie. Photo by Kate Noden

Caylee Santos ’20 hanging posters at the crack of dawn. Photo by Kate Noden

To see part 2 of this year’s Red and Gold kickoff mass, check out Alicia Ventura’s article here.