Discovering Red and Gold Publicity Themes

The morning after kickoff featuring Red and Gold posters. Photo by Isabel Alderete '21.

Isabel Alderete, Staff Writer

On Friday, January 31st, Red and Gold officially began. Both the Red and Gold teams unleashed their craziness on campus by running around at 6:00 am to decorate the school. By 7:00 am, the school was completely transformed: red and gold posters on the fences, streamers in the restrooms, sticky notes on the stalls. But in order to do this, each team each team worked tirelessly on their publicity for weeks. Both teams picked a publicity theme, and all of their school decorations went along with this theme.

Red Team’s 2020 publicity theme is the number fifty. Gianna Arenas ’21, Red head pub captain, was one of the masterminds behind this pub theme. When asked why, she stated, “We picked the number 50 because it’s the 50th Red and Gold. We wanted a theme that reflected that, so this is what we came up with.” Some of Red’s posters include interesting facts with the number fifty, such as “50 is the atomic number of tin,” or “Prince’s 50th released single is ‘Cream’.” Gianna admitted that it was sometimes difficult to find interesting facts, but in the end it worked out perfectly.

Some of Red’s posters, all with the number 50. Photo by Isabel Alderete ’21.

One of Red’s canvases, featuring the 50th states, or Hawaii. Photo by Isabel Alderete ’21.

Gold Team’s 2020 publicity is nostalgia, or anything relating to childhood memories. Senior Riley Hawkins, Gold Producer, originally introduced this theme at the very first Red and Gold, and everyone on Gold loved it. Riley wanted to do this theme because she wanted Gold’s publicity to be relatable. “I wanted someone to look at one of Gold’s posters and think, ‘OMG I remember this,’ or ‘I always watched that show as a kid,'” she stated. Some of Riley’s favorite posters include an image of the Gerber Baby, or the Chuck-E-Cheese poster.

Gold’s Magic School Bus canvas. Photo by Isabel Alderete ’21.

Both the Red and Gold teams have amazing pub themes, each unique and fascinating. If you see Gianna or Riley in the hallways, be sure to congratulate them on amazing publicity.