Cats: A Movie Review

Kate Noden, Editor in Chief

On December 20, 2019, box offices were blessed with another movie release, “Cats”. The new movie is based off a Broadway play where a group of cats decide annually which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and return to a new life.

The movie consists of a very famous cast including actors James Corden, Taylor Swift, Jason Derulo, Rebel Wilson, and more. With so many great actors and a great plot, what could go wrong? Well, everything.

Allison Perea acting in an actually good production of Cats. Photo by Abby Sue

“Cats” uses extreme special effects and technology visuals to turn regular human actors into realistic cats. The movie took approximately 95 million dollars to create; however, it has only made 12 million from box offices.

This slow incline of funds is due to the fact that the majority of the public are absolutely terrified of this new film. As of January 10, 2020, IMDB rated the movie 2.8/10. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 21 % rating stating, “Despite its fur-midable cast, this Cats adaptation is a clawful mistake that will leave most viewers begging to be put out of their mew-siry.”

Yikes, and it doesn’t stop there. Multiple critics and reviews have shredded this film to pieces.

Alex Cranz wrote, “I saw a terrifying gray statue looming over a character, only for it to blink and realize it’s a woman who is a cat, but they colored her and then forgot to add fur.”

Peter Bradshaw stated, “The setting is London, and it does look post nuclear. There aren’t any people, so maybe there were bomb blasts- or maybe a bio disaster, causing cat-human mutants with digital fur.”

Steven Do typed, “Taylor Swift was warning us when she said, ‘I’ll be the nightmare starring in your bad dreams.'”

So what did our very own Royals think of this far from purr-fect film?

Hailey Morris ’20 angrily stated, “No one should see this movie; it scarred me and made me very sick to my stomach. I saw it with my boyfriend and we couldn’t speak to each other for a few days after experiencing this traumatizing event.”

Sophomore Hannah Palos shakily mumbled, “I love cats, so of course I wanted to see this movie. However it was NOT what I expected and I will getting no sleep for the next few days.”

Senior Allison Perea performed in her owns theater’s productions of “Cats” back in 7th grade. She stated, “Performing in Cats was an amazing experience, I was able to learn how to become a better dancer and the first show I have ever done with no dialogue. I heard this movie was coming out and I was very excited, I thought it would be Broadway on the big screen. Then I saw the trailer and was turned off and heartbroken. After seeing it, I now experience nightmares”

Allison Perea acting in her production of Cats. Photo by Abby Sue

“Cats” has been in theaters for less than a month and is truly a disaster. Due to the rushed animation, terrifying features, and aggressive scenes, this might be a movie you want to save your 15 dollars on.