Making Christmas Royal

Making Christmas Royal

Alicia Ventura, Staff Writer

The Christmas season is always a wonderful time for people to come together to catch up and celebrate together. There is no exception for Rosary’s families. Thus, the Royal Reporter took it upon themselves to see what kind of traditions Rosary’s students and faculty did before and during Christmas Day.

First, Sascha Portero ’21 shared with the Royal Reporter that her family is always visited by the Watchful Elf from December 1st to the 24th. Legend has it that the watchful elf watches over children to see how they behave and at night, it reports back to Santa everything that occurred that day. According to Sascha, it moves every day which indicates its travel from their house to the South Pole.

You get to meet interesting people when you are alone and that’s just the truth”

— Mr. Faubl

Mr. Faubl, the physics teacher, also gets into the Christmas spirit by going on road trips and on whatever adventure he finds along the way. When asked whether going alone bothered him he answered, “You get to meet interesting people when you are alone and that’s just the truth.”

Many royals with Mexican heritage either go to Mexico to visit family there or they celebrate as they would on their own. Noelle Bermudez ’21 and her family are one of the many families who attend posadas which in English are called “The Inns” in which Catholics commemorate the journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem in search of a place to give birth to baby Jesus. Afterwards, everyone celebrates by eating lots of tamales and champurrado, a Mexican chocolate drink. Marysol Cazarez ’21 and her family, on the other hand, do make the trip over to Mexico to visit family. There they celebrate by being together and eating lots of food. Marysol shares, “My family is so quirky, I love spending time with them each year.”

The Cazarez Family on Christmas.
Photo By Sylvia Cazarez

Some Christmas traditions, the Royal Reporter found out, start before the Christmas season even starts. Skylar Cooper ’20 and her family begin to hang up their Christmas lights before Thanksgiving day and when the day of giving thanks finally comes, the Cooper family turns on their Christmas lights for the first time. “It’s our first Christmas gift,” commented Skylar on her family’s Christmas tradition.

Alexys Pouche ’21 shared with the Royal Reporter that her family builds a Christmas village each year. Luckily, she was able to share some pictures of her family’s beautiful Christmas village for the 2019 year.

The Pouche family’s village.
Photo By Alexys Pouche

Of course, Christmas traditions also means special customs on Christmas Day. Serena Park ’21 said that she and her uncles always do either a push-up, sit up or plank competition. There’s nothing like a good friendly competition with your family before opening gifts together.

During the Christmas Seasons, Jonnie Robles ’21 and her family attend a Christmas Event in Pico Rivera that is an all-day event where they eat a lot, listen to music, shop, and get to spend time with each other. “We eat a lot of tamales there, we practically live in the tamale season,” says Jonnie while smiling.

Our Rosary Community is very diverse in Christmas traditions and it’s that time of the year in which they get to experience these traditions all over again. It’s that time of the year again to make more memories and make Christmas royal.