The Problem with Thanksgiving

Whitney Deubler, Staff Writer

The students of Rosary spent last week, or at least one day of it, with their families celebrating Thanksgiving. It’s a holiday commonly thought of as the filler between Halloween and Christmas, but it has problems all its own. Either something happens with the food, traveling becomes a pain, or you can’t figure out which side of the family to spend the day with. 

One of these problems is solved by having two separate thanksgivings, as Hailey Fejaeran ‘20 and Calista Fejeran ‘22 did. “For Thanksgiving lunch I was with my dad’s family,” Hailey shared with the Royal Reporter. “And for dinner I was with my mom’s.” By having two different meals, her family solved the problem of not knowing who to spend Thanksgiving with.

Image result for dense fog

Terrifying Fog Photo provided by Juliana Maldonado

Another problem is getting the entire family together. This is very difficult when people’s families live in different parts of the state. For Juliana Maldonado ‘20, that meant driving up to Northern California, passing through and visiting, Madera, Modesto, Roseville and Plymouth on the way up to her family. “[We] almost got stuck in the Grapevine due to snow and fog,” she told the Royal Reporter. “The fog was so thick I couldn’t see my hand when I put it out in front of me.”

Cooking Thanksgiving dinner also creates headaches. Servite junior Luke Mendoza ‘21 had quite a crazy story to tell. “Last year, we went [to Georgia] and were preparing for dinner. About thirty minutes before our Thanksgiving dinner, the scalloped potatoes got burnt. It signaled off the alarm which went directly to the fire department. Fire fighters came to our front door, and we didn’t know they were coming. We gave them some food as a sorry, and they left.”

Burnt Potatoes Photo by Luke Mendoza

While many things can go wrong with Thanksgiving, there are many people who had overall had a good Thanksgiving. “Nothing extraordinary or crazy happened” shared Christina Borbon ’20. She spent time with her family and had a fun, calm and uneventful Thanksgiving. Nothing too crazy happened and it wasn’t too boring, a perfect balance.

Thanksgiving is a time that is supposed to be relaxing and spent with your family. For some, that happens. But in many cases Thanksgiving ends up being stressful, because of traveling, or a problem with the food. Still, it is a time to spend with family, and deserves more recognition than just being a filler between two more popular holidays.