Red Ribbon Freebies

Red Ribbon Freebies

Maryann Compton, Staff Writer

October 23rd to the 31st marks the beginning of Red Ribbon Week; however, Rosary’s faculty handed out the red ribbons early in hopes to educate students about the dangers of drugs. Red Ribbon Week came about,as follows: “In response to the murder of DEA Agent Enrique Camarena,” explains the National Family Partnership, “angered parents and youth in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the killing and destruction caused by drugs in America.” 

Mr. Lyons, a beloved teacher at Rosary, shared his insight on Red Ribbon Week by explaining, “I think the awareness is helpful, and I think it was great for PAL to look up all the facts they used in their posters, because it gave them more awareness as well as for the students that read their posters.”

PAL’s posters. Photo by Maryann Compton

In partnership towards this awareness, many stores and fast-food restaurants are giving discounts and even free items when you show your red ribbon on your wrist. The Royal Reporter is here to let you know which stores are the ones to hit.

Disclaimer: These deals are only at select locations. 🙂

At McDonald’s, students wearing their red ribbon will receive a free small fry. Senior Camille Aquino explains, “I went to McDonald’s after school, and I didn’t even realize I was still wearing my red ribbon, and the cashier asked me if I wanted the free small fry for wearing my red ribbon. Of course I said yes, who wouldn’t?”

7-11 partnered and is giving a free small Slurpee when students wear their red ribbon. Junior Jacqueline Hernandez explains, “Tuesday after school, my friends and I decided to go to 7-11 after school because it was so hot and it was super refreshing. To my surprise, we actually got a free Slurpee. So today after school, I am going to McDonald’s as well to get my free small fries. #imlovinit.”

In addition:

Sonic is giving a free medium slush or fountain drink with a purchase of a burger, hot dogs or boneless wings.

Red Ribbons! Photo by Maryann Compton

Krispy Kreme is giving free donuts.

Carl’s Jr. gives a free order of kid’s fries.

If you have a party going on, Domino’s deal is unbeatable. With a purchase of one large pizza, you get a second for free.

Similarly, Juice It Up is giving a BOGO on smoothies.

For only $1, you can get a kid’s ice cream cone at Baskin-Robbins.

Dairy Queen gives 20% off of any regular priced items.

Other than food places, you can also get good deals on attractions.

The Santa Ana Zoo is giving free admission with a purchase of an adult ticket.

In addition to that, the Yorba Lina ICE is giving a free skate rental for any public session.

Of course, even without the freebies, we all should still wear our red ribbons in support, and to spread awareness on the idea that ‘drug use is life abuse.’

To check to see if the location near you is offering any freebies, you can visit https://duila.org/events/red-ribbon-week/.