The ACT: Ah! Crying Time

Riley Hawkins, Staff Writer

A three-letter word that strikes fear in the hearts of juniors and seniors alike: the ACT. On September 14th, many of our Rosary Royals subjected themselves to five hours of strenuous testing at various schools all for the sake of that precious score, be it a 24 or the much revered 36.

Seniors Melanie Beltran and Sophia Lambros studying for the test. Photo by Sophia Lambros

Stereotypically, girls tend to prefer and do better on the ACT over the SAT, and one reason is the stereotype threat associated with the SAT. Girls go into the SAT thinking they will do worse than the rest of the boys in the room and therefore preform worse than their abilities should allow them to.

This is not true of the ACT, where girls’ historic success has helped current test-takers to approach the exam with a confidence that helps them succeed.  John Katzman, chief executive on the Princeton Review, interviewed by Michelle Slatalla in The New York Times,explains, “Girls tend to fit pretty well into the group of high achievers, who get good grades and do well in school, who also do well on the ACT,” (Katzman qtd. in Slatalla).

The Midwest prefers the ACT while the two coasts prefer the SAT.

Rosary is known for their plethora of overachievers and, of course, they are all girls. But that doesn’t mean everyone at Rosary looked forward to the test.

When the Royal Reporter asked some of the test takers for their thoughts on the ACT this past weekend, some were positive; Senior Hailey Morris stated, “I didn’t think it was terrible. I’ve been studying and doing test prep for months now and I think it really paid off.”

However, many students across the board feel immeasurable amounts of animosity towards standardized testing, and the ACT in particular. “I hate the ACT,” Senior Sophia Degrassi said. Senior Angela Magallon agreed, joking “The ACT is ugly. That’s all I have to say.”

Others were critical of how the test is used. Senior Jocelyn Diaz noted that the test is “not an accurate measure of our intelligence.”

Hopefully, the scores released yesterday, September 24th, will reflect the relentless studying and prepping our Royals did for this imperfect test.

Senior Riley Hawkins the night before the ACT crying because she was so tired of test prep. Photo by Riley Hawkins