Your All-Access Pass to the Tri-School Year

Hayley Johnson, Staff Writer

The Tri-School Theatre year has just begun, and we could not be more excited to learn what amazing performances, classes, and activities are in store for our new and returning students.

Information for Tri-School Theatre’s fall show. Photo from Tri-School’s Instagram page.

Tri-School will be performing two shows this year: Thornton Wilder’s The Matchmaker in the fall and Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt’s The Fantasticks in the spring. Performances will be in the Servite theater from Thursday, November 21 through Sunday, November 24 for The Matchmaker and Thursday, April 30 through Sunday, May 3 for The Fantasticks.

Students have already begun preparing for the fall show with the fall audition workshop, and they’re eagerly awaiting the actual auditions on Tuesday, September 10. Tri-school performers and techs love to see familiar faces there, they’re hoping to see some new ones as well. Senior Maddy Gomez stated, “We’re all so excited to see what talents these new performers will bring.” 

This year’s shows are not the only Tri-School events to be excited about. Weekly conservatory classes for both theatre and tech students begin Thursday, September 5.  Offerings include Musical Theatre, Acting 1-4, Stage Management, Makeup, and Costume Design. Students in the classes hone their craft and explore new skills.

Juliana Maldonado ‘20 says that her experience in Tri-School’s conservatory classes have given her a major confidence boost. “I was introduced to theatre quite late compared to my peers,” she stated, “so being able to take classes that fit my schedule has been amazing.” Conservatory classes take place over 21 Thursday afternoons throughout the school year, and new electives are offered each session (fall, winter, and spring), so there are endless opportunities for even the busiest of students to give Tri-School a try.

Tri-School students posing for a picture. Photo by Magic Moments Sports Photography.

Tri-School students will also be travelling later on this year.

In the spring, thespians who are members of Tri-School’s Troupe #4566 can go to Upland High School for the California State Thespian Festival. At this three-day event, theatre and tech students perform or present pieces that are judged by industry professionals and teachers from all over California. Students can also attend workshops led by professionals and see California’s top ranking high school productions, with time between events to socialize and participate in activities.

Tri-School’s second trip will be a week long stay in New York City next summer, where all students attending will see five Broadway shows, take masterclasses with Broadway professionals, and explore the city. “It’s an amazing experience,” Juliana commented, “I went the summer of my sophomore year, but you’ll definitely see me there again this summer.” All attendees are required to have participated in Tri-School in some way, whether it be through performance, tech, or conservatory classes. 

All around, this is shaping out to be a very exciting year for Tri-School Theatre, and we look forward to seeing the results of their hard work and dedication.