Junior Spotlight: Connelly Transfer, Mia Oravetz

Hayley Johnson, Staff Writer

We’ve seen her shine on the Tri-School stage, but this year she’s making a different kind of debut into our Rosary community. Now former Connelly student Mia Oravetz ‘21 has taken her place among the Junior Puffins, and we can’t wait to get to know her. 

Mia shared that she had a fantastic first week. She was a little nervous starting her junior year at a new school, but “everyone has been so welcoming, kind, and helpful,” that she was able to overcome her nerves and start the year off strong. She can’t wait to continue her journey at the Academy, receiving her class ring at Rosary Day this year and participating in her first Red and Gold, where she hopes to be on choral.

Mia stopping to pose for a picture during her hike in Bray, Ireland. Photo by Tahlia Garcia

Mia absolutely loved being a Connelly student and made sure to be an active part of Connelly’s school community, participating in journalism, choir, the ambassador program, and the Holy Child Exchange Program to Killiney, Ireland. So why did she decide to transfer to Rosary? Mia explained that it was that very trip to Ireland that helped her to make up her mind. “I decided to come to Rosary after taking part in Connelly’s amazing Holy Child Exchange Program,” she stated, “which helped me to realize that I was ready to experience something new.” Thrilled to have had the opportunity to find this change in a new school, she can’t wait to participate in as many activities here as possible.

Mia singing “Come to My Garden” as Lily Craven in Tri-School’s Looking Back, Moving Forward. Photo by Magic Moments Sports Photography

Although she is best known for her several performances at Tri-School Theatre, Mia also has some hidden talents that she is ready to show the world. “Many people don’t know this about me,” she shared, “but I am very much into . . . ocean related sports. I have participated in the Newport Beach junior lifeguard program every summer since I was nine . . . and I plan to try out for the NB lifeguard department this February. I also took up crew this summer, and was invited to row on the women’s novice team just recently at the Newport aquatic center. Despite my typically packed schedule, I really enjoy trying new things, and participating in as much as I can[.]” As for the continuation of her participation as Tri-School, Mia said that “only time will tell.”

We are all so excited to continue to get to know our brand new Royal sister.