Wellness Review

Wellness Review

Yoga and meditation. Photo provided by The Christian Broadcasting Network

Rebekah Barnabas and Ella Shi

For the first time ever, Rosary decided to incorporate “wellness” into the schedules of students this year. Wellness is a 45 minute block of time to simply relax and take students’ minds off of school, whether that be through the form of a guided meditation, a walk, time with therapy dogs, or time for journaling. Like every new idea, there was a lot of positive feedback, but also some negative feedback. The Royal Reporter interviewed students from all grade levels on what they liked best about wellness and what can be improved for next year.

Senior Sophia Mall playing with markers to combat stress. Photo by Rebekah Barnabas

Junior Amara Miranda commented, “Wellness is awesome because I get to relax and just take my mind off the busy school day and work load. I especially enjoy meditations because it grants the wish that my friends and I have wanted all year which is more sleep. I don’t like that they don’t let us have a study hall option. I know that’s not technically wellness, but it still serves as a way for us to be relieved from stress because we get extra time to work.”

Sophomore Taylor Bastidas comments on how wellness can be more organized next year: “I really enjoy wellness; it can be a good way to unwind and prepare for the next classes. But I really hate how sporadic wellness days get. We all want a free period to get work done and some of us want to pet dogs, but there’s barely enough space for everyone or the option isn’t there at all. I wish there was a nap option, it would be so helpful to have an organized nap time session.”

Senior Melissa Wisnieski provides insight into how wellness should incorporate more study hall opportunities: “I liked that they focused on mental health and I liked having a little break during the day to take my mind off of school, but I didn’t like that there were so few opportunities for study hall during stressful times of the year and the times where we had meditation were often when we needed time to work rather than take a break. I think that we could use more study hall for the upper grades during first semester and especially before finals.”

Seniors in the LEC enjoying a study hall. Photo by Rebekah Barnabas

Lastly, freshman Stephanie Lopez informed the Royal Reporter that she liked wellness because it allows for students to take their minds away from school work and just relax. However, she commented on how the Freshman and Sophomores should get more opportunities for sleep meditation because they get stressed as well.

Overall, it seems that most students really liked the concept of wellness, and with a few tweaks on what’s offered during wellness and how often it takes place, the Royal Reporter is sure that next year will be even better!