Mrs. Nutt’s Greatness – It All Adds Up!

Mrs. Nutt’s Greatness – It All Adds Up!

Mrs. Nutt with senior officers.

Mrs. Nutt with senior officers.

Mrs. Nutt with senior officers.

Mrs. Nutt with senior officers.

Caitlin McClure and Ella Shi

Mrs. Nutt has been a teacher at Rosary for longer than anyone can remember- but we have heard it is 39 years. Students remember Mrs. Nutt for being tough but fair and always making sure her students understood the material. Mrs. Nutt provided her students with the mathematical equations to succeed not only at Rosary but beyond. In her time at Rosary, she has made a lasting impression not only on her students but also on her fellow faculty. Some of these faculty members commented on Mrs. Nutt:

Mrs. Nutt receiving the teacher of the year award, now renamed the Elaine Nutt Award. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Mr. Clough, fellow math teacher, stated, “Mrs. Nutt is a spectacular teacher who encourages her students to achieve. There are lots of things I could say about her- she is hardworking, talented, wicked smart, and all her students always say they have learned so much in her classes.”

Ms. Pautsch, Head of School, remarked, “Mrs. Nutt’s time at Rosary has been a gift.  Her passion for Rosary, math, and education have motivated students and teachers to give their best selves.  Mrs. Nutt’s time is unprecedented. Rosary cannot thank her enough for 39 years of service.”

Mr. Yoon, Director of Curriculum and Learning, said, “Mrs. Nutt is one of the most dedicated teachers I know. She works hard for our students to ensure that they understand the standards for Math. She gives her time generously to the Robotics team so that they can reach their goals and have pride in their work.”

During her time at Rosary Mrs. Nutt has many fond memories. Here are a couple:

“One time I brought my son to Rosary Day, which is one of the most memorable Rosary traditions. Back in the day, Rosary girls used to release balloons with Rosary’s address attached asking for whoever found it to send it back. I remember my son was sobbing when he saw the girls let go of the balloons. He thought they had lost them which made him hold on to his even tighter”

“I remember a former student who failed pre algebra and algebra 1 and entered my geometry class as a junior. The student got a D and didn’t fail for the first time. The student told me  ‘You are the only math teacher I’ve ever understood.” The student bargained with the school asking to retake the final instead of the entire course and having me be her tutor, and Rosary  agreed to the deal. For all of summer the student came to my house and studied with me by the pool when my son was taking swimming lessons. She ended up getting a C on the geometry final. She got a C first quarter, a B second quarter, and an A last quarter in her Algebra 2 class. This was her first A. At the end of Rosary, she graduated with around a 1.6. The student went to Fullerton College, transferred to UCI and later graduated with a 3,95 GPA. I like to think she is my biggest success story.”

Mrs. Nutt has certainly made an impact on everyone at Rosary. We will all miss her when she is gone next year.

About the Writers
Caitlin McClure, Copy Editor

Caitlin McClure is a senior and a first-time writer for the Royal Reporter. As the oldest of four, she has grown up in a constant state of chaos and never-ending...

Ella Shi, staff writer

Ella Shi is a senior and a first-year writer for The Royal Reporter. She spends most of her time watching YouTube videos, translating social media pages,...