A Night to Shine

Our+prom+guests+enjoying+themselves+at+the+formal+photos+booth.+Photo+by+Mr.+Reinbold+

A Night to Shine

Our prom guests enjoying themselves at the formal photos booth. Photo by Mr. Reinbold

Theresa Ceman and Evelyn Zhao

On Friday, April 26, Rosary Academy held their first special needs prom, a project put on by the sophomores. It was a night to remember and an incredible experience for everyone involved.

All the students of Rosary, with the help of religion teacher Mrs. Flati, Campus Minister director Mrs. Kearns, the campus ministry class, and many others, dedicated a lot of their time preparing for this incredible event. The day finally came where many of the sophomores from Rosary and Servite came to help, from setting up the venue to helping others with their makeup, hair, and nails. Everyone was filled with joy, not only for the cause but because it was truly a joyous feeling to be a part of such an event.

In an interview with sophomore Mary Walloch, she explained the work she put into the prom.

RR: How was the setup, and preparation process of the whole prom? And how did you feel about this whole project?

Mary: It was a truly rewarding experience. I got to help with makeup. Basically what we did was get a mini tutorial of how to do the makeup for the special needs students and and after that, they started coming in and while we were doing their makeup we got to bond and hear how excited they were. It was wonderful to get to share in their lives. Also, my friend’s mom is a representative for Estee Lauder Cosmetics so I talked to her and she came to help and donated all the makeup.

Rosary’s sophomores helping the special needs kids get ready. Photo by Donna Reinbold

Mrs. Kearns and Mrs. Flati were so amazed by the whole production of this prom and really enjoyed it. In an interview with Mrs. Kearns, she talked a little more about the prom.

RR: How was the preparation and set up for the whole special needs prom?

Mrs. Kearns: I was incredibly impressed with how much the sophomores invested their time and how Mrs. Flati dedicated her time to work on this whole project. All the creative juices, the energy, and the passion came from the sophomores and it made a huge difference.

RR: Is there anything you got out of this experience?

Mrs. Kearns: I think the prom tuned out way better than we ever could’ve anticipated, and just to see how much fun our own students had. I knew that the special needs kids were having fun, that was clear and it was amazing to see that you guys, all the girls who attended the event had just as much fun. It was just so much better then I thought it ever could’ve been.

Students and guests enjoying the prom and dancing. Photo by Donna Reinbold

It was truly amazing to see the whole prom come together and the smiles on everyone’s faces. As everyone has said, it was a memorable experience that everyone really enjoyed. It even appeared on KTLA 5 news that night, making everyone feel special.