Pre-Calculus Picture Projects

Pre-Calculus Picture Projects

Juniors Olivia Pesci, Kathryn Davis, and senior Kate Marshall pose with their projects. Photo by Holly Middleton

Holly Middleton, Sports Editor

Each year there is typically one project that is done in each of Rosary’s math classes, from Mrs. Nutt’s animal evolution project to Mr. Clough’s life-size scaling project. This year is no different for Ms. Rocha’s Pre-Calculus classes. New to the school, Ms. Rocha wanted to bring something exciting to her students to do outside of the typical math class routine.

A lacrosse stick made up entirely of mathematical equations. Photo by Holly Middleton

The project had the students graph an image on paper and through a website called Desmos, which allows for an online rendering of the same image. The image had to be symmetrical along an axis, point, or line, and had to include the following functions: linear, polynomial, trigonometric, and rational.

Special merit points were given if a student went above and beyond with presentation, design, their use of functions, or if they just went over the top with their work.

Senior Claire Nicodemus thought the project ended up being more fun that she originally thought. “I believed that the project was going to be hard and complicated, when in reality, it was kind of fun seeing which functions would work for a certain shape and which ones wouldn’t. It could get frustrating, but once I was done I was really satisfied with what I had.”

Students file into class to turn in their math projects. Photo by Holly Middleton

Even the faculty and staff had a say in which drawing was the best, voting for a top three: senior Taylor De La Rosa’s undersea creatures, junior Amara Miranda’s teddy bear, and senior Zoe Sanford’s Starbucks cup.

Now, students in lower level math classes will be able to look forward to this awesome project in Ms. Rocha’s pre-calculus class.