The Power of a Campus Visit

Senior+Nicole+Garcia+at+Filipino+Bruin+Life+Weekend.+Photo+provided+by+Nicole+Garcia%0A+

The Power of a Campus Visit

Senior Nicole Garcia at Filipino Bruin Life Weekend. Photo provided by Nicole Garcia

Sue Kim and Rebekah Barnabas

As college decisions are out and seniors need to commit to a school by May 1st, it can be extremely stressful to pick the correct college. One of the most helpful things to do in order to make the decision is to visit the campus, as pictures can be just a snapshot of a bigger reality. Truly visiting the campus, seeing the types of students at the institution, experiencing the weather, and getting a feel for the location and atmosphere can be the deciding factor. The Royal Reporter interviewed seniors who visited college campuses this past weekend, to receive their insight on the importance of doing a campus visit.

Seniors Nicole Garcia and Marissa Panino at UCLA. Photo provided by Nicole Garcia

Nicole Garcia ‘19 “I loved attending both the Filipino Bruin Life Weekend and Bruins day, because UCLA is a huge campus with so much to offer. I have the opportunity to meet both current and future Bruins who I am so excited to spend the next 4 years with! Also, they had some really delicious food!”

Sofia Benevidas ‘19 “This weekend, I visited Whittier College and it was definitely helpful in making my decision. I recommend that students visit before committing just to be sure it’s the right school for them. Also, I visited Reed College a while back in Portland, Oregon and it was a really cool school, but also really different from other colleges, so I would definitely recommend visiting and going to an information session before applying or committing.”

Senior Sophia Mall at Chapman University. Photo provided by Sophia Mall

Sophia Mall ‘19 “I went to Chapman University and I recommend visiting your top choices rather than choosing based on what is on paper. Visiting the school can give you an insight into your life for the next 4 years and really helps you decide if you see yourself there.”

Ava Cunningham ‘19 “I went to USD, and I think that it was cool to see the people that could potentially be your classmate and make friends before you get there.”

Seniors Claudia Mancha and Juliana Esquivel at Oregon University. Photo provided by Juliana Esquivel

Juliana Esquivel ‘19 “This weekend, I went to University of Oregon and I would 11/10 recommend! UO is made up of such a diverse group of students and events on campus that there is always something to do! It’s a big college but still has the small college feel with the different types of groups you can get involved in!”

Anielka Ruiz ‘19 “Pratt Institute in New York made me realize that I could never live in New York because of the weather and it made me know that I do not see myself there. So, I recommend visiting colleges or else you will get stuck living some place for the next 4 years.”

If you are still struggling with what college to call home for the next four years, maybe a college visit can help!

About the Writers
Sue Kim, Staff Writer

Sue Kim is a senior at Rosary Academy and a first-time writer for the Royal Reporter. She spends her time binging Youtube videos, re-watching Friends episodes,...

Rebekah Barnabas, Features Editor

Rebekah Barnabas is a senior who can be easily identified by the constant smile on her face (unless she is terribly hungry or legitimately sleep deprived)....