Finishing Strong

Rosarys+Track+Team.+Photo+by+Rosary+Academy+

Finishing Strong

Rosarys Track Team. Photo by Rosary Academy

Theresa Ceman and Evelyn Zhao

Rosary Track has had a busy past few weeks, with their dual meet against Orange Lutheran and the Ocean View Invitational, the OC champs, and preliminaries coming up. These girls have put so much work into this amazing season and are not finished quite yet.

Track had 2 meets this past week. Here are Coach Burleys’ recaps:

“Rosary got off to a good start vs. OLu with Rebel Tuinukuafe’22 breaking her school record in the shot put with a 36′ 5” throw. Our 4×100 relay team lowered their time to a 52.3. Asia Avinger ’20 continues to improve in the long jump with a 16’3” jump, which is the qualifying jump for CIF. Ryann Ersek ’21 also PR’d in the long jump and was an inch off her triple jump PR. Molly Farrell ’21 broke into the 17’s in the 100 hurdles with a 17.99.” Prior to the meet, the team celebrated five out of the nine seniors: Lauren Vasquez, Taylor Roberts, Bella Rivera, Sophia Daniels, and Alexandra Samawi. On April 11th, the team will celebrate the 4 seniors that were at Kairos next Thursday.

Long distance runner doing amazing. Photo by Rosary Academy

On Saturday, Rosary competed at the Ocean View Small Schools Invitational. The highlight of the meet was Rebel Tuinukuafe’s amazing shot put throw of 39’2”, once again crushing her previous record. Our freshman phenom is in the top 5 in Orange County. She shattered the existing meet record by almost 8 feet. Hannah Laughlin ’19 PR’d in both the long jump and triple jump. Our freshmen duo of Gabriella Cardenas ’22 and Kelsey Gomez ’22 did very well in the long jump, placing 4th and 2nd, respectively. Emma Hoferer ’19  finished third in the 800 with a 2:30 time followed closely by Marie Brier ’20 at 2:33. Noelle Bermudez continues to improve running a 1:08 in the 400. Also running PR’s in the 1600 were Lizette Mejia ’20 6:14, Elena Walz ’21 6:26, Cayla Castaneda’21 6:32, and Sheila Martins ’22 at 6:43. Our coaches are so proud of our Rosary athletes coming out on Saturday and giving their all!

Starting the relay off strong. Photo by Rosary Academy

This week Rosary will be competing against themselves and as Coach Burley says “whichever class wins will get smoothies!” After this final meet, the Royals will compete at the OC Champs, one of the hardest invitationals, as well as prelims, and CIF finals. As the girls continue to practice and anxiously wait they will continue to improve, PR, and become faster and faster each day with the help of all the amazing coaches.

About the Writer
Evelyn Zhao, Staff writer

Evelyn Zhao is a new international student from China who would love to be a Royal Reporter this year. Everything not only in the school but also in the...