Serena the Spectacular Surrealist

Serena the Spectacular Surrealist

Sophomore Serena Park posing with a chicken leg. Photo by Serena Park.

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

You’ve probably seen the incredible five-foot-one sophomore Serena Park somewhere around the area, whether it’s on the lacrosse field, at concerts with her BFF Conan Gray, in the library, or walking the very hallways of Rosary Academy. She is a wonderful addition to the Rosary community, so let’s delve in a little deeper and unveil the secrets that make Serena such a fascinating individual.

“I like to read a LOT,” she says. “Like I’ll read like a four hundred page book in one sitting at like midnight because I get so into it and I read faster when I like the plot and whatever.” Serena explains, “I think I like reading especially when I find characters I can really relate to because I haven’t found many in real life that are as similar to me as some book characters are lol.”

Serena loves a wide variety of books and authors, mainly YA romance and fantasy. She exclaims, “SARAH J MAAS HAS MY WHOLE HEART. Her series is my all time fave and the final book came out in the fall and I CRIED TWENTY-SIX TIMES WHILE READING IT OMG.” This sophomore is extremely emotionally connected to books and loves them with everything she is. She continues, “I also love “Harry Potter” of course. And all of Becky Albertalli’s books are so cute and relatable.”

Serena cannot stop expressing her love for books. She adds, “OMG I just read this book like a week ago called “Emergency Contact” and ITS SO CUTE AHH. ITS MY NEW FAVE BOOK OF ALL TIME AND I CANT GET OVER IT UGHH.” She also has a boundless love for Rainbow Rowell and really enjoys her books. Serena would love to tell you all about it but will refrain for times’ sake. Her book list “goes on forever and ever” so if you want to learn more, find her and start up a conversation. She is very friendly and loves to discuss books with any and all other book fanatics around.

Serena also has a patent obsession with music. She says, “I really really love music and it’s had a huge impact on my life. I could not imagine my life without it. It would be awful and I don’t think I could survive.” Serena uses music as somewhat of a coping mechanism because by listening to music that she really likes, she is “able to calm down if I’m having a panic attack or something because it can give me memories of good times and all that.”

Serena Park ’21 with her new BFF Conan Gray. Photo by Serena Park.

“I love indie music and love alternative the most,” she says. “But I also love eighties music so so much.” When considering other genres, Serena believes pop is “eh,” rap is only for certain moods, and she ABHORS country music because it’s “ew.” When discussing Serena’s favorite music artists, she says, “I REALLY LOVE CONAN GRAY.” Serena was able to meet him in concert last weekend and you can only imagine the excitement she felt. “I really like Halsey and saw her in concert two years ago and wow she’s amazing,” she adds. Serena is going to voice her love for her favorite artists, so brace yourself: “I LOVE QUEEN AND THE POLICE AND I REALLY LIKE HONNE. ALL OF THEIR SONGS ARE GOOD and Gus Dapperton is amazing omg. Also LANY is this band and I love them so so so much.” This music devotee can go on for days about her favorite artists and songs, but we have other Serena-related business to explore.

Serena also really loves to write. She says, “I like creative writing and writing down my thoughts through poems and stuff. Or like short stories inspired by something that happens, like sometimes I make little backstories/short stories about some random person I see.” When asked how long she’s enjoyed writing, she says, “I’ve loved writing since like first grade?? I would always write pages and pages of stories. I still write a lot but I can never seem to finish any. I have so many notes in my phone of story ideas that I want to write but I CAN NEVER FINISH ANY OF THEM.” Because of her love for writing, Serena would love to major in English and become an attorney, but she is not entirely sure yet. Her dream school is Stanford and would love to go there, even though it is such a high reach. She would also love to attend UCLA but doesn’t know if she would get in. Serena is clearly a very intelligent individual and will thrive at any school she attends.

Here is sophomore Serena Park rocking the lacrosse field. Photo by Serena Park.

On another note, Serena is a scholar-athlete who is on Rosary’s varsity lacrosse team: “Although I played soccer for like ten years and played club and all that, when I got to high-school I wanted to try something new so I decided to try lacrosse because my sister Chloe Park played and I did a few Rosary summer camps for lax and I really liked it. In both soccer and lacrosse I play defense, so it was a really easy transition between sports.” Serena says she likes it even more because she “made so many new friends and got closer to both upper and lower classmen.”

To finish off, Serena tells about her other hobbies and interests: “I like baking (stress mechanism), reading (duh), playing ukulele and piano (not really piano), watching sappy movies, sitting on the floor listening to records, and redoing my bookshelf.” Serena also crochets and considers herself practically a grandma. “I make headbands and scarves because I only know one stitch LOL,” she says. “I also bullet journal and I LOVE doing calligraphy!! OH AND I LOVE MY SUCCULENTS WITH MY WHOLE HEART.”

Serena’s plant child named Lennie. Photo by Serena Park.

Expanding on Serena’s love for succulents, she has a grand total of nine plant children and cares for each of them as her own. Their names are: Lenny (from of Mice and Men), Vivian (sophomore Caroline Linton’s hydro), Meme (like Serena’s hydro), Oscar (like Oscar the Grouch from “Sesame Street”), Freddie (named after Freddie Mercury), Eva, Josiah, Kendra, and Katie.

Serena continues on because she loves to talk: “I have an unhealthy obsession with John Mulaney, Erza Miller, and of course Conan Gray. And I love SNL too much for my own good.” She says, “I like Marvel movies and “Supernatural” and “Sherlock the Show” and “Hawaii Five-O” and “Big Bang Theory” and OH “BROOKLYN NINE-NINE” IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SHOW!”

As you can see, Serena is a very enlivened individual who loves many many things. She is such a fun person to talk to, so if you ever get the chance, make her day and go chat with her because she loves it and will talk for hours.

About the Writer
Tina Enright, Staff Writer

Sophomore Kristina Enright, also known as Tina, is thrilled to be a part of Rosary's journalism staff. When not completely absorbed in her latest read,...