Uh-oh, Aunt Becky

A+very+sad+Nicole+Garcia+over+the+college+admissions+scandal.+

Uh-oh, Aunt Becky

A very sad Nicole Garcia over the college admissions scandal.

Marissa Pennino, News Editor

Within the past week, a major scandal has swept the nation: Operation Varsity Blues. Discussions about the legitimacy and ethics of the college admission process seem to be the only thing hitting headlines. If you’re not caught up, here’s a little backstory: 

Lori Loughlin (aka Full House’s Aunt Becky) and other wealthy celebrities/CEO’s were charged this week for scamming universities all across the nation, including Yale, USC, Georgetown, USD, and more. It all started with one Newport Beach businessman, William Singer, who promised wealthy families a way for their children to get into top universities; he referred to it as going “through the side door.” Singer ran a counseling company that, after receiving wired money from families, would get students extended time for the SAT, bribe test proctors, Photoshop athletic profiles for students, and bribe officials in the respective schools’ athletic departments.  

Olivia Jade and her scammer mother. Photo by Google Images

One girl at the center of this turmoil is YouTube sensation Olivia Jade. Her mother, Lori Loughlin, paid over $500k for her and her older sister to attend USC. Their “acceptance” into USC was contingent upon their guise as athletes—Singer created fake profiles for them that falsely stated they were on the rowing team (Bloomberg).  

Olivia explicitly stated in a YouTube video that she doesn’t care about school—she’s just going to USC for the “game days and partying.” Senior Nicole Garcia expressed, “It’s fine if she doesn’t want to go to college. But, she’s taking the spot of someone who actually does, and who has worked so hard to get where they are.  

Rightfully so, many Rosary seniors have strong feelings about this scandal.  We have put so much work into getting good grades, studying for the SAT/ACT, writing college essays, etc. Senior Margarita Diaz expressed, “They could’ve used that money to actually hire tutors or counselors for the SAT instead of just buying their way into it. I didn’t cry every night for someone to just do this.”  

Senior Nyah Ramirez added, “It’s totally unfair, I’m really upset. It’s not fair to the people who have worked so hard, while still having a job and trying to get good grades.” 

As many of us seniors are still in the waiting period, this scandal provides even more anxiety for us. We don’t have $500k to shell out. We have expected colleges to accept us based on our own merit and accomplishments.  

But, seniors: don’t let this discourage you. We’ve worked so extremely hard to get to where we currently are. We’ve stayed up ’til the early hours of the morning annotating Bell Jar, or cramming for physics tests, or finishing our religion websites.  

The reality is: we may not get into the college of our dreams. But regardless, we have our work ethic, dedication, and determination—these are all things that can be taken to any college we choose to attend. Success doesn’t have any labels; no matter what we go, or what we do, we all know how to work for it.  

About the Writer
Marissa Pennino, News Editor

Marissa Pennino is a senior at the Academy. She is thrilled to be a part of the 2018-2019 Royal Reporter. When she isn't purchasing vegan and gluten free...