Reconciliation with Royals

Rosary+Royals+celebrating+Ash+Wednesday+to+mark+the+beginning+of+this+Lenten+season.+Photo+by+Mrs.+Reinbold.+

Reconciliation with Royals

Rosary Royals celebrating Ash Wednesday to mark the beginning of this Lenten season. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

Sofia Benavides, Features Editor

Yesterday, Royals had a split lunch in order to participate in the sacrament of Reconciliation/Penance. Sophomores and seniors went first while freshmen and juniors ate lunch, and then they swapped. It was a meditative time to reflect on the kind of person you want to be, especially during this Lenten season.

Nicky Angle ‘19 says, “I thought about what I’m giving up for Lent and why- I’m giving up complaining and being negative. It’s pretty hard because all I do is complain, but I know why I’m giving it up and I know it’s good for me.”

The Sacrament of Reconciliation. Photo by ThePreachersWord.

Campus Ministry director Mrs. Kearns encouraged students to visit one of the five priests to confess and be absolved of their sins- a good, fresh start to Lent. Paper, pens, and envelopes were also provided so Royals could write letters to those the felt they had wronged. Mrs. Kearns encouraged girls to give the letters to the intended recipient, but if not, the letters would be held in the chapel and prayed over during lunch masses. 

Royals celebrating Ash Wednesday Mass to begin Lent. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

“Writing letters is nice because you don’t have to actually give it to the person,” says senior Anielka Ruiz. “But you can still write that you’re sorry and they’re still being prayed over. It was therapeutic, in a way.” Overall, Royals really enjoyed this relaxing Reconciliation and meditation.