Juniors Looking to the Future

Juniors Looking to the Future

With the use of Naviance, Mrs. Crowley shows juniors how to compare their test scores with those who've applied to a college they are looking at.
Photo by Kat Davis

With the use of Naviance, Mrs. Crowley shows juniors how to compare their test scores with those who've applied to a college they are looking at. Photo by Kat Davis

Kat Davis and Isabella Tejeda

After the thrill of Red and Gold, juniors have started to think more seriously about life after Rosary Academy. The academic counselors, Ms. Trina Hartman and Mrs. Kristin Crowley, have been meeting with juniors and their families to discuss their course load for senior year, including the basics of the college application process. This meeting assures the student and parents that they are not alone when it comes to their future.

Juliana Poggi ’20 feels prepared for her future with her purple college planning folder.
Photo by Kat Davis

This process isn’t a new asset to Rosary. It originally started during the first semester of senior year, though now, Mrs. Crowley informs, “Students will have more time to work on all aspects of the college application process over summer and into the start of their senior year. Being prepared with all of the information ahead of time will allow students to then check-in with counselors over the summer, as well as meet in the fall to address questions and pursuit guidance on their journey.”

Rosary wants make sure that girls are beginning to look into colleges they may want to apply to next year, and assure that they understand what exactly is included within the application process such as test scores, applications, scholarships, and much more. Providing information for parents as well, the counselors give them an update on how the process is in today’s academic world, and by answering any questions they may have.

Mrs. Hartman gives the 401 to junior Maryann Compton about the college admission process. Photo by Kat Davis

In the eyes of the students, junior Mia Huffman ‘20 said, “It is honestly relieving to know I have resources on campus to help me with the whole college process. It can be overwhelming at times, but I know I have great guidance.”

The Royal Reporter caught up with Berna Hattouni ’20 for the dish on her experience.

RR: Did having this meeting with your counselor give you a better understanding of what the college application is like?

BH: Yes, it definitely gave me a better understanding. Mrs. Hartman explained all the elements needed for the applications, the differences between public and private schools applications, and many other details.

RR: Do you feel like you have benefited from the meeting and have a clearer understanding of what you might want to do in the future?

BH: I benefited from the meeting, but I definitely am still unsure of what I want to do in the future. The college meeting gave me many ideas of what I want to pursuit, but I am still searching for my dream major.

RR: Are you happy that Rosary now offers this to juniors instead of finding out about the whole process beginning of senior year? Do you feel more prepared?

BH: Yes, I am so happy. College applications are stressful in it of itself, so getting a breakdown early before the process begins, makes me feel more prepared.

We know college can be a stressful process, but thanks to Rosary Academy, the juniors are now prepared.

About the Writers
Kat Davis, Staff Writer

Kat is an easygoing and creative junior at Rosary Academy. She enjoys anything that has to do with the arts from creating and writing music to laying in...

Isabella Tejeda, Staff Writer

Isabella is a student-athlete and junior at Rosary Academy. This is her first year on the Royal Reporter. Isabella currently plays for Rosary's varsity...