Sleep: A Universal Concept

Sleep: A Universal Concept

Water Polo players Julia Toth and Nyah Ramirez tired in between games. Photo by Tina Enright

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

Sleep: the little space between counciousness and uncounciousness. Typically, people all around the world use the night hours as a time to sleep and recharge for the day ahead. It’s an interesting concept because everyone’s sleep experience is different. Some people dream, others don’t. Some sleep all night, others have a hard time falling or staying asleep. Some people need music or T.V., others need silence. I decided to ask people in and outside of the Rosary community about their sleep patterns and found lots of fascinating results.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, teenagers ages 14-17 should be getting around 8-10 hours of sleep a night; Young Adults (18-25) 7-9 hours; Adults (26-64) 7-9 hours; Older adults (65+) 7-8 hours. But you’d be surprised how many people don’t get the amount of sleep they need. Because of schoolwork, stress, and everything else going on in our lives, it can be difficult to find time to rest. But it is very important for our overall health, as lack of sleep can make it difficult, or even impossible to function in everyday life.

Sophomore Nikki Culver provides some insight about her sleeping patterns: “I try to get around 5-6 hours of sleep every night, but I end up waking up multiple times throughout the night. Don’t ask, I don’t really know why either. I usually end up walking around my house and getting a snack or drink of water at 2:00 A.M. I know, my sleep schedule is weird lol.”

Sleep lover Sofia Benavides ’19 taking a nap in the LEC. Photo by Tina Enright

“Sleeping is my WHOLE LIFE,” says senior Sofia Benavides. “Normally I fall asleep listening to my sleep playlist, which really helps because sometimes it’s hard to sleep when I’m stressed about school or college or whatever. I would say my sleep schedule is much better now that I’m a senior and not a junior, which is pretty awesome.”

There are many Royals who have a hard time sleeping because of school stress. For example, Serena Park ’21 says, “I do not sleep enough on school nights because homework sucks. Listening to music helps me fall asleep faster and calms me down. I LOVE SLEEPING, I just don’t do it enough.”

Megan Darling ’20 says something similar: “Homework definitely comes first, so sometimes I’ll fall asleep while doing my homework. But recently I’ve been trying to put my health first and get some sleep and I feel so much better! Honestly sleep is awesome, 10/10 would definitely recommend.”

Maria Garcia ’21 has a different opinion: “Sleep comes before homework for me. I need to sleep 9-12 hours so I actually function during the day. I start dreaming as my body is waking up in the morning. My body knows it’s time to wake up every day by making me dream.”

Sophomore Nikki Culver taking a power nap before a water polo game. Photo by Tina Enright

My best friend Ella Alcantara is a Sophomore at Ayala high school in Chino Hills, and she has an interesting way of falling asleep at night. She says, “I usually go to sleep early, but if I go to sleep stressed I wake up around 2-3 A.M. I usually fall asleep listening to music and thinking about my friends being happy; it calms me down lol. Sleep comes before homework because if I don’t sleep then I can’t think while doing schoolwork.” Although Ella has a hard time falling asleep, she uses music and good thoughts to help her.

Then there are a few Rosary seniors who have forgotten what night sleeping really feels like.  We have Nicky Angle who asks, “Wait what is sleep again?” Or Anielka Ruiz who says, “I sleep in class.” While that is not recommended, many students do it because we have to sleep sometime right? And sometimes doing it at night is not an option.

Some people have no problem getting all the sleep they need. Hailey Yu ’21 says, “I love sleep and feel so refreshed and happy when I get ten hours of sleep on the weekends!” Ryan Ohlman ’21 adds, “I sleep well and get a solid nine hours a night.” Madeline Chang ’21 appends, “If I don’t sleep, I get acne. I don’t like acne, so I sleep.”

However, sophomore Tara Fishman is confused about how much sleep she needs. She expresses, “I feel like I haven’t mastered the secret formula on how much sleep I need because I wake up tired every day. My day does get better after I have woken up a bit, but that’s only if I sleep a lot the night before. If I get less then six hours of sleep the night before I am legit dead.”

I asked my nineteen-year-old brother Daniel Enright for some male insight: “Yes, I sleep enough. I Average 9-10 hours a night. I love to sleep. I remember dreaming about 60% of the time. My nightmares happen approximately 3% of the time. I sleep on my back in temperatures less than 65°F with a sheet and one blanket. I fall asleep by throwing my mind into a dream and then it takes over when I become unconscious.”

Lauren Rivere relaxing in a floaty on Catalina Island. Photo by Tina Enright

The Royal Reporter is so grateful to have so much feedback. Sophomore Jasmine Vodhanel provides her thoughts: “I love to sleep but I can never get enough. I used to be able to remember my dreams when I got enough sleep, but now I can’t and I think that’s really sad because dreams are a place where we can escape reality. Now I lost that because I’m stuck doing so much work during the day that I can’t escape.”

Similarly, Marysol Cazarez ’21 says, “I don’t sleep. I definitely have a problem and need to manage my time better, but I just love signing myself up for everything and it’s becoming unhealthy. For the past few days, I’ve been ordering iced Coffee from Starbucks and it’s helped a ton. As for dreams, I used to have cool ones like hanging out with Shawn Mendes but now I just dream about how I didn’t do well on my math test.”

Although sleeping appears simple, it is actually a very complex idea. As you can see, everyone’s sleeping patterns are a little bit different. For some people it’s very easy, for others it can be quite a challenge. But no matter what it’s like for you, it is an essential part of life. So value your health and sleep today.