Running Royals

Coach+Thomas+and+track+girls+excited+for+a+meet.+Photo+by+Gabriella+Cardenas++

Running Royals

Coach Thomas and track girls excited for a meet. Photo by Gabriella Cardenas

Theresa Ceman and Evelyn Zhao

Track season has just begun, and all of our running Royals are excited to get their spikes on and start running, jumping, throwing, hurdling, and more. Rosary’s track team started the season off strong, already competing in a Servite Invitational and a dual meet against El Modena High School.

Servite’s Invitational on February 16th was an exciting, nerve-racking meet for many of the athletes competing. This invitational was many of the girls’ first races or events. It was a great invitational, and Rosary really gave it their all.

Coach Laura told the Royal Reporter about the team’s highlights from the meet.

In the 100m event, Lauren Aquino had the top time, 14.23, to win the Frosh-Soph (F/S) grouping. Hannah Laughlin had the top varsity time of 14.44.  Lauren Aquino also won the 200m with a time of 29.06. Anika Osborne won the 400m at 65 seconds, followed by Lily Grudichak at 68 seconds. In the 800m Kayla Castaneda took second with a time of 2:47, followed by Grace Duarte at 2:55. Emma Hoferer had an exceptional time in the 1600m with a 5:42.

Theresa running in track shirt. Photo by Evelyn Zhao

The Royals excelled in field events as well. In the 100 hurdles, Theresa Ceman won the F/S hurdles at 21.77. Molly Farrell, in her first hurdling event, took second at 18.93 followed by Brooke Edwards at 19.97. In the F/S 300 hurdles, Elena Navarro won at 59.02, and Molly Farrell took second running varsity at 58.98. In the shot put, our newest royal Rebel Tuinukuafe had the best throw of the day at 31′ 9”. Alex Samawi won the varsity shot with a mark of 28′ 1″. Alex Samawi also had the top discus throw at 84’3”. In the varsity long jump, Ryann Ersek placed second with a jump of 14’11”, followed by Hannah Laughlin at 14′. Evelyn LeVecke won the F/S long jump at 13’1”. In the high jump, Daphne Ruffier won the varsity with a career-high 4’8” jump. Evelyn LeVecke won the F/S high jump at 4’6”. In the varsity pole vault, Gabriella Cardenas had a personal best jump of 8’.  The 4×400 relay team won the varsity event with a time of 4:24. They were led by Anika Osborne, Lily Grudichak, Lauren Aquino, and Delaney Mihelich.

This track meet was successful and all of Rosary’s coaches were proud of the Royals.

Freshman Gabriella and Olivia at their track meet. Photo By Gabriella Cardenas

Some highlights from the February 22nd El Modena Track meet include freshman Rebel Tuinukuafe winning the discus (94’) and the shot put (34’4 ½ ”). Her incredible shot put throw puts her really close to Rosary’s school record, which was set by her cousin Rachel Pau’u in 2014. She is currently one of Orange County’s top throwers. Brooke Edwards won the 100 hurdles with a PR. Ryann Ersek was a double winner, winning long jump (new PR) and triple jump.  Also showing a lot of improvement was Paige Sokol, who won the high jump at 4’8” and placed third in the triple jump with a new PR.

This week, the girls will be working hard while anticipating their next track meet next week. Many of the girls said, “We are excited to see the results as the season progresses, everyone is working very hard and will do amazing by the end of the season.” In addition, they are very excited to earn smoothies from coach for setting PR’s and working hard.

We are all excited to see how the Royals will do in the next meet, and are very proud of the huge amount of accomplishes they’ve achieved in such little time.

About the Writer
Evelyn Zhao, Staff writer

Evelyn Zhao is a new international student from China who would love to be a Royal Reporter this year. Everything not only in the school but also in the...