Day Road Trips

Day Road Trips

Santa Monica Pier sunset. Photo by Pintrest

Erica Barton and Izzy Lopez

Spring is right around the corner, which means that it’s time to get out of the house and go find new adventures.  When it comes to finding a new place to do something fun and adventurous, people usually want to go out of town, far away.  You don’t have to go far to have fun, though.  Sometimes, your next best adventure is right around the corner

California is one of the most traveled states in America.  With the sunshine and beaches, it’s not surprising to know that so many people want to travel here.  The state offers much variety, from the mountains to the beaches to the desserts.

Here are five (hopefully new) exciting places to travel to that are close to home-

#1- Malibu, CA

Malibu is a great place to travel to for scenic routes and great food, as well as the occasional celebrity siting.  There are several different beaches on the 21-mile stretch of beach, including El Matador State Beach, a rocky, scenic beach, and Zuma Beach, a great place to go swimming, and a ton of small shops, as well as some of the best restaurants.  Malibu Country Mart, an outdoor mall, also has lots of cute little shops to visit while on your trip.  In the whole town of Malibu, some of the restaurant favorites include The Reel Inn, a traditional yet chill fish house; Nobu, an upscale Japanese restaurant (a celebrity favorite); Paradise Cove, a more hidden restaurant that has tables sitting on the sand; and Malibu Farm, a very trendy and even more organic eatery sitting on the entrance of the Malibu Pier.

Malibu Farms, Malibu, CA. Photo taken by Izzy Lopez.

#2- Santa Monica, CA

Directly below Malibu, Santa Monica is a more bustling beach city.  With Third Street Promenade and the pier being the two main attractions, there is a ton of shopping and site-seeing to do.  While on the pier, you can go to the restaurants, as well as riding the roller coaster and various other carnival rides (all-day passes are only $14 per person).  When you’re done with riding the rides, you can walk over to the famous Third Street Promenade, where you can both eat and shop til you drop.

Santa Monica Pier. Photo taken from Pinterest.

#3- Carlsbad, CA

Carlsbad, CA, located between Orange County and San Diego, is the perfect beach for any type of water sports.  With the flat beach and open resort, one would almost think that they were on vacation, far, far away.  There is also a street with gift shops, as well as a giant candy shop.  It’s a much more chill option if you are looking for a beach to hang around all day.

Beach at Carlsbad, CA. Photo taken by Izzy Lopez.

#4- Joshua Tree, CA

Joshua Tree has a lot to offer, from the hiking trails to the gorgeous flowers that are in bloom due to this years rain.

Being only a couple hours away from home, you can get there in no time and still have a a lot of time to hike a couple trails and go see all the flowers that are blooming. Even though Joshua Tree is in the desert, there are still many different diverse food options that you can go to. “Yelp” is always a great app to use for finding great hole in the wall places that are family owned. Whatever you decided to do at Joshua Tree make sure to pick a clear sunny day so that the views are Instagram worthy.

Some cactus in Joshua Tree on one of the hikes. Photo by Erica Barton

#5- Palm Dessert, CA

Palm Desert is another fun place to go to for the day. Some fun things to do in Palm Desert are going to The Shops on El Paseo.

The Shops on El Paseo feature small boutiques as well as many high end shops such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Saks Fifth Avenue. If you get tired of shopping, you can take a trip to the Spa or catch a bite to eat at Wilma and Frieda’s. Palm Desert also has their own zoo called The Living Desert and Zoo which features many various different animals from all over the world. The Living Desert and Zoo also has areas where you can pet and feed the animals which is a lot of fun. Palm Desert has a variety of options that you can do that will be a lot of fun. No matter what you choose, make sure to relax and enjoy yourself.

A beautiful sunset in Palm Desert. Photo by Erica Barton.

About the Writer
Erica Barton, Staff Writer

Erica Barton is a senior at Rosary Academy. She plays water polo and loves to travel. She would like to travel to Ireland and Italy one day. Her favorite...