Every 15 Minutes

Every 15 Minutes

The crash scene. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

The crash scene. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

The crash scene. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

The crash scene. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Isabella T. Lopez and Caitlin McClure

This past Monday and Tuesday, Rosary and Servite students gathered together to participate in Every 15 Minutes, a two day program informing high school juniors and seniors about the fatal effects and consequences of drinking and driving.

The ‘Grim Reaper’ walking around Rosary’s campus. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

The program began early on Monday morning when the ‘grim reaper’ visited both Servite and Rosary classes and ‘took’ students away. These students wore black and white skeletal makeup for the rest of the day to symbolize those who die every 15 minutes as a result of drunk driving. Joy Joukhadar ‘19, one of these students, gave insight on what the experience was like for her. Joy commented, “After we had our makeup done, we went back into the classrooms and sat at the back. We were trying to show how even after students ‘die’ due to drunk driving, they are still there at the back of people’s minds.”

At Servite, students gathered around to watch the aftermath of a simulated driving collision. Students witnessed what a real crash scenario would be like, from the 911 call to the tests officers run to determine if someone is driving under the influence. The scene featured realistic-looking wounds, two beat-up junk cars resulting from the “car crash,” and multiple real emergency vehicles- fire trucks and police cars- all arriving at the scene.

The next day, students came back for the ‘funeral’ of the students who had ‘passed away’ in the previous day’s simulated car crash. Students watched the entire scenario unfold in a short movie shot by Mark Zuniga Films. This film starred Rosary and Servite students and detailed the events that led to the crash. This film and entire event was very impactful for Rosary senior Ava Cunningham, who said, “It was really real. They were my friends. I am over at their house almost every weekend. By the end I was balling.” After the film, the Roth family came up and gave an emotional first hand account of the effects drunk driving can have on a family.

Mrs. Ward, when asked later that day about her feelings on Every 15 Minutes and drunk driving stated, “It’s not worth it. Not even one drink.”

Mrs. Ward is right, and hopefully all Royals will think hard before ever participating in something illegal and potentially fatal.

All the students who participated in Every 15 Minutes. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

About the Writers
Isabella T. Lopez, S W

Isabella T. Lopez is currently a senior and 1/2 of the Isabella Lopezes at Rosary Academy, a prestigious high school located in Fullerton, CA.  She enjoys...

Caitlin McClure, Copy Editor

Caitlin McClure is a senior and a first-time writer for the Royal Reporter. As the oldest of four, she has grown up in a constant state of chaos and never-ending...