Producer Pals

Producer Pals

Lauren and Caitlyn are close friends despite being leaders of opposite teams. Photo courtesy of Caitlyn Shank

Joy Joukhadar and Holly Middleton

Who would sign up to run Red and Gold? Why would someone want to withstand so much pressure? What makes being the producer appealing? Well, lucky for you, the Royal Reporter has the inside scoop on the elusive job and why these girls decided to spend their last Red and Gold leading their team.

CAITLYN SHANK, GOLD PRODUCER

Why did you want to be producer?

• I really wanted to step up and be a leader, especially because I didn’t really see myself as any other captain.

Did you ask to be nominated?

• I did talk about it, but I never really expected it to happen.

What has it been like working with your producer and people of different class levels?

• Working with Riley [Hawkins] has been interesting. We have known each other since grade school at Saint Juliana’s and got close during our volleyball seasons, but being producers together has created a strange, amazing bond between us that I have never had with anyone else. The age difference isn’t even noticeable when we hang out and work together.

What is your favorite thing about the job?

• My favorite thing about my job is really being able to lead others and get closer to people in all grades and friend groups. The girls I work with are so diversely talented and I’m seriously blessed to be able to get to know each of them.

What is biggest challenge?

• The biggest challenge I’ve faced would definitely be the stress. Red and Gold is no easy task and overseeing every piece of the production is seriously one of the most difficult responsibilities I have ever had in my time at Rosary. I do not know what I would do without my fellow captains.

Why did you chose your color?

• I chose gold as my color because although I have not been on gold all my previous 3 years, I was on gold my sophomore year with my 3 other Shanks (Lindsey Shank ‘18, Caroline Shank ‘17, and Emily Shank ‘20). So, as a tribute to my fellow Shanks, I just knew I had to be on gold once again. Also, my fellow producer and bestie, Lauren Mike, really had her eyes on red so it all just worked out.

Producers and friends Lauren Mike and Caitlyn Shank pose together. Photo courtesy of Lauren Mike

LAUREN MIKE, RED PRODUCER

Why did you want to be producer?

I wanted to be producer because I thought that being co producer last year was very fun and I loved watching over all the other categories. I wanted to have that experience again so I chose producer.

Did you ask to be nominated?

I did write my name down because I knew I could handle the responsibility of the job.

I never really think about the grade difference because every single job is important and if you’re equipped for the job, age doesn’t matter.

My favorite part of the job is being able to look back from the beginning to now and see how much my team has grown. It’s really a beautiful thing and something I am so proud of.

What is biggest challenge?

I think the biggest challenge I’ve had to handle is making sure I juggle my responsibilities of school, red and gold, and soccer well and not make sure I value one over the other.

Why did you chose your color?

I chose red because I had been on red the previous three years and a captain the last two years. I will always have a connection with it because it brought me to come out and be myself more than I’ve ever been before.

We wish both producers the best of luck this Red and Gold season and give props to both of these Royals for all their hard work!

About the Writers
Joy Joukhadar, Editor-in-Chief

Joy Joukhadar is a passionate senior who can be spotted walking around campus with a tub of ice cream. She can't wait for her final year at the Academy...

Holly Middleton, Sports Editor

Holly "LAX GOD" Middleton is a senior at Rosary Academy. She is excited to spend time with her friends, learn new things, and experience her last Red and...