Legends of Valentine’s Day

How can you say no to a puppy and roses. Photo by petmd

Erica Barton, Staff Writer

Every February 14, across the United States, couples get dressed up and go out to a nice dinner. Guys are scurrying to buy their girlfriends bouquets of roses with little teddy bears to go with it, trying to make their girlfriends happy and show them how much they care for them with a cute card. The girls are getting dressed up to the 9’s hoping that their boyfriend has something special planned out for them.

St. Valentines Valentines day card. Photo by EpicPew

When people think of Valentine’s day, they think about love, roses, chocolate, date nights and romance movies. People don’t think about the history and legends behind Valentine’s day and how it is not all about chocolate and roses.  The History Channel gives some different information.

It is said that there was a priest whose name was Valentine who served during the third century in Rome. Then one day the Emperor Claudius II declared that single men were stronger and better soldiers rather than those who had wives and a family. After declaring such a statement, the Emperor banned marriage for young men. Being a priest, Valentine saw that the new law was not right and he went against the Emperor by continuing on performing marriages for young men and women in secret. However, it didn’t take long for Emperor Claudius to find out and when he did, he ordered Valentine be put to death.

Another legend says that Valentine was killed because he would help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons, where they were tortured. Valentine would go into the prisons and pray with them and when the jailers left, Valentine would sneak the Christians out and help them lead a better life.

The most popular legend is that while Valentine was imprisoned, he sent himself a “Valentine” soon after he had fallen in love with the jailer’s daughter, who would visit him from time to time while he was in confinement. Before Valentine was put to death, it is said that he wrote the daughter a letter, signing it with “From your Valentine.”

Enjoy a big bunch of chocolate covered strawberries from See’s Candy. Photo by See’s Candy

While there are many different legends about St. Valentine, they all still remain murky. Though in each one of the legends, a young loving, sympathetic, heroic and most importantly, romantic figure is always emphasized.

Whichever legend you believe is the real one, make sure to always remember that Valentines day is not all about roses, chocolate, and a nice dinner date with your significant other; it is about love, in all its forms, as well.

We hope that you all have a lovely and safe Valentine’s day.

About the Writer
Erica Barton, Staff Writer

Erica Barton is a senior at Rosary Academy. She plays water polo and loves to travel. She would like to travel to Ireland and Italy one day. Her favorite...