How to Recover from the Semester: Winter Edition

Joy Joukhadar embraces her inner Santa. Photo by Holly Middleton

Joy Joukhadar, Holly Middleton

Not gonna lie, this first semester has been a trying time. Seniors have been panicking about college apps while freshmen have been navigating high school. You may need to recover from the taxing semester while simultaneously procrastinating your winter homework. So, The Royal Reporter compiled a list of activities to make your break as merry as can be.

See Christmas Lights: Get into a car, preferably your own or a friend’s, and take a drive around Orange Country. No matter the city, you’re bound to see beautiful displays of lighting and magnificent colors amid neon Santas and light-up reindeer. You can add ice skating to the agenda before or after in order to add more fun to your day.

Decorate Cookies: It’s a relaxing, stress-free activity that results in a delicious holiday treat! You can make cookies or buy them pre-made, douse them in frosting, and pepper them in sprinkles.

Eat All Your Cookies: It’s the fruit of your labor. You deserve to eat it. Forget calories, forget everything. If you made it, you can eat it! (Side note: This rule does not apply to children).

Cry and Watch A Star Is Born: Enough said.

Kidnap and Train a Reindeer to Act Like a Golden Retriever: See, some of  us aren’t allowed have dogs. And some of us have dogs, but would still love and cherish another. Logically, we could mosey on down to the nearest adoption center and get a dog. But that’s mundane and not festive at all! If you’re a real Christmas lover, you’d sneak into the Canadian wildness and have a get a reindeer of your own.

Seniors Joy and Holly playing a festive Game Pigeon. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

Play GamePigeon (Or Club Penguin Rewritten If You Want to Be Festive): It’s a fact that GamePigeon, our beloved iMessage gaming application, is the most amusing yet frustrating addition to the iMessage A

pp Store. Whether you play Crazy 8s or Battleship with a buddy over text, you’re bound to throw your phone across your room as the glitches and buffering start to get to you…but you HAVE to send back your turn of 8Ball nonetheless. If it doesn’t work out, though, just sign in to Club Penguin Rewritten and relive your adventures as a 9 year old on this exciting Disney website.

Go to Alaska and Actually Experience Winter: We’re in Southern California, home of Death Valley, literally the hottest place in the world. So, if you want to look up and see a cloud and discover what a shiver feels like, take a trip to Alaska. You’ll feel the cold and discover what a white Christmas is really like. Who knows, maybe you’ll even get to see Russia from your cabin’s backyard!

Hunt Down Santa and Fight Him For Letting Rudolph Be Bullied: Lets be real here, Santa sees if we’re naughty, if we’re nice–he’s omnipresent. He definitely knew this poor reindeer was being mercilessly bullied and discriminated against. Luckily, Rudolph learned to overcome his obstacles, but still–He let a reindeer be bullied. Who does he think he is–the Easter Bunny?! Shame on you, big, red man.

Become Santa: We can do anything. As Beyonce once proudly sand,”Who runs the world–GIRLS!” Who needs a female president or more women in Congress if you have a female Santa? People want the fall of the patriarchy, so why wait till next autumn for it? This winter, women will rise and give Rudolph an owner who cares.

Joy Joukhadar is the new Saint Nick. Photo by Holly Middleton