Movie-ing into the Holidays

Movie-ing into the Holidays

The Christmas movie section on Netflix. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Grace Battaglia and Kate Noden

December has officially begun, which means hundreds of romantic, cheesy, and silly Christmas themed movies.

With so many options flooding your Netflix account, it can be hard to decide which movies are worth your time.

The Royal Reporter is here to save the day yet again. We watched as many Christmas movies as possible to give you the most honest review–that way you do not have to waste any of your precious time.

The Princess Switch Rate: 8/10

This movie is hands down adorable. The only reason two points were deducted from its overall score is that it is far from original. It is your average switch plot- two girls who look identical meet in some far away place and decide to switch lives. Each falls in love with the man in the other’s life, and they all live happily ever after. But this movie stars everyone’s childhood favorite–Vanessa Hudgens, who just makes this movie that much cuter.

The Grinch (2018) Rate: 5/10

If you have not seen this movie yet, we suggest putting it on your list. But don’t feel the need to rush to theatres. There are many mixed reviews on this new version of the Grinch. It is the same Grinch story you have heard one thousand times over. Quite frankly, it was just too modernized. However, it is worth the short hour and 45 minutes to decide your own opinion on it.

Santa Buddies Rate: 9/10

If you love dogs and Christmas- this is the movie for you. Budderball, B-Dawg, Rosebud, Buddha, and Mudbud spend the duration of the movie teaching another pup the true meaning of Christmas. Cute puppies and a life lesson? Yes, please.

Grace Battaglia ’20 happily watching “Santa Buddies”. Photo by Kate Noden

A Christmas Prince Rate: 7/10

When a journalist is in desperate need of an interview from a prince, she pretends to be the family’s royal tutor for the youngest daughter. Of course, she falls madly in love with the prince. The movie is lovely, but it only receives a 7/10 due to the overused fall-in-love-with-the-prince cliché.

The Christmas Chronicles Rate:-4/10

You can only access this movie on a Netflix subscription, but if you do not have an account, do not worry. You are not missing anything. This was a typical family holiday movie where the children attempt to catch Santa. Except for the Santa in the movie was rude and not friendly. The real Santa doesn’t deserve that.

Kate Noden ’20 disgusted by “The Christmas Chronicles”. Photo by Grace Battaglia

The Santa Clause Rate: 10/10

The Santa Clause is an iconic Christmas movie. When Scott Calvin accidentally kills Santa Clause, he is left to take Santa’s place. When he ends up at the North Pole, the elves inform Scott that he must become Santa by Christmas. Scott does not believe the interaction was real until he begins to physically look like Santa. This movie is the perfect movie to watch with your entire family.

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause Rate: 2/10

Review: No. No. NO. This movie is okay at best but sequels never turn out well. Especially when the original movie was so iconic. It had a lot of potential, but it was not executed well at all. If you have an hour and 38 minutes of your life that you don’t mind wasting, then watch this. But otherwise, stick with the original.

Now that you’ve received insight on some great (and not so great) holiday movies, be sure to grab your hot chocolate and enjoy as many movies as you can before the season is over.

About the Writers
Grace Battaglia, Staff Writer

Grace Battaglia is an enthusiastic junior at Rosary Academy. Her favorite subject is history. She is extremely excited for her junior year and to receive...

Kate Noden, Staff Writer

Kate is an energetic junior, who is ecstatic to be part of The Royal Reporter. She loves playing soccer and running track for Rosary Academy. Kate is also...