Singing into the Season

Singing into the Season

Mrs. Harrison directs the choir during an outstanding Christmas program. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Kiren Grewal and Marissa Pennino

As Christmas day is drawing near, the Royals are getting into the Christmas spirit! On Monday, December 10, everyone gathered in the Karcher Canter to watch the event of the season: the annual Christmas Program. Ms. Harrison and her Performing Arts students practiced for weeks in order to give us this spirited show. Their hard work paid off, as they transformed the Karcher Center into a music hall. The students performed with spirit, and the crowd showed their appreciation with resounding applause after every number. 

Some of the featured instruments were the piano, violin, cello, and handbells, and ASL students of all levels even joined the stage to sign “Let it Snow.” 

Our Royal Choir filling the Karcher Center with holiday cheer! Photo by Kiren Grewal

The choir sang Christmas classics such as “Silent Night” (they even sang partly in German), “Carol of the Bells” (quite the tricky tune), “Winter Wonderland,” “Feliz Navidad,” and more. Their voices reverberated throughout the Karcher Center, eventually motivating the student body to get involved and sing along. “I liked how it was interactive,” senior Nicole Garcia ‘19 explained. “It made the concert all the more exciting and entertaining.”

Pianist Bernadette Hattouni ’20 and cellist Vanesa Farooq ’20 getting ready for the spirited concert. Photo by Kiren Grewal

The ASL class performing “Let it Snow.” Photo by Kiren Grewal

Bernadette Hattouni ‘20, who played the piano during the Christmas Program, enjoyed rehearsing for the big day, she expressed: “Everyone in the chamber orchestra is so talented and we were able to pick up the music very quickly. We all work very hard and love to play together!”

This Christmas program was quite spirited and definitely lifted Royals from the sorrows and stresses of our looming finals. “It was so great!” exclaimed senior Naomi Dodd ‘19. “It was a much needed break from all the studying and preparing for finals next week, and let me take my mind off of it.”