Secret Lives: The World Language Department

Our bilingual language department. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Marissa Pennino and Kiren Grewal

The Royal Reporter is back at it again for another riveting exposé. This week, we’re tackling the Language Department. These beloved teachers impart their knowledge of Spanish, French, and ASL on Rosary Royals. 

Our wonderful ASL teacher, Ms. Brophy. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Ms. Brophy, who joined the Rosary community last year from North Carolina, is our superb ASL teacher. She shares that “interpreting for the Deaf and hard of hearing has been a blessing and a joy.” But, what many do not know is that Ms. Brophy works as a Sign Language interpreter, translating at sold-out stadium concerts for world-renowned musicians. She has translated for Michael Bublé, Taylor Swift, and Shawn Mendes, just to name a few. When asked how she keeps her energy up, she expressed, “I chug down four Redbulls before a show and 5-hour-energys between songs. Gotta stay wide awake!” Next time you go to a concert or music festival, look off to the side and see if you can spot Ms. Brophy translating the lyrics. 

Former (and current) FBI investigator, Sra. Casillas. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Rosary loves our amazing Spanish III and AP Spanish teacher, Señora Casillas. What many of you may know is that Señora Casillas was previously employed by the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Yes, she worked as a Spanish Language Translator for the FBI. Amazing, right? Yet, what many of you don’t know is that Señora Casillas is still employed by the FBI. In fact, Royal Reporter did some sleuthing and found out that she is investigating one of our very own Royals for suspicious Starbucks runs! We have not yet identified which Royal she is investigating, but we do know that the investigation is quite intense. Stay in school, Royals. 

Our lovely French and AP European History teacher. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Royals know Dr. Villaseñor is a doctor; however instead of having a Ph.D, Dr. V actually has a M.D. That’s right everyone, Dr. V is not just a French teacher, but a medical doctor. After a long, arduous day of teaching French and AP European History, Dr. V retires to her lab and is actively searching for a cure for throat cancer. By collecting stem cells from mutated guinea pigs, she has found a way to alter the DNA of cancer cells and have them attack each other.Because of this, Dr. V has cured guinea pig cancer and is currently finding a cure for human cancer. Dr. V expressed, “My research has evolved so far–I just got published in the Harvard Health Journal! I’m excited to see where it leads in the future, and hopefully curing human cancer.” We love a smart sister! Disclaimer: no guinea pigs are harmed in the process.

The head of the dynamic language department, Sra. Kappe. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Who is fluent in Spanish and is also a vocals goddess? Señora Kappe! Our soprano Spanish teacher is not just a recreational singer, though—it is her secret job. After Royal Reporter went undercover to get the scoop, we found out that Señora Kappe is actually Shakira’s vocal trainer! She explained, “Before every show, I help Shakira warm up her voice with a lot of different exercises. If we’re not on tour, then we’re training for the next performance. It’s always go, go, go.” Since this is a backstage job, Señora Kappe’s next goal is to sing on stage with Shakira. ¡Qué fantástico! 

Stay tuned next week for our next top-tier article about the long-awaited Science department.  

About the Writers
Marissa Pennino, News Editor

Marissa Pennino is a senior at the Academy. She is thrilled to be a part of the 2018-2019 Royal Reporter. When she isn't purchasing vegan and gluten free...

Kiren Grewal, Managing Editor

When she is not slaying her opponents on the tennis court, Kiren Grewal is a diligent academic at Rosary Academy.  Also involved in a plethora of school...