Thanksgiving Break Thrills

Thanksgiving Break Thrills

Thanksgiving break gave students many opportunities to spend their time off, such as volunteering to give a family a Thanksgiving dinner. Photo by Michael Battaglia

Holly Middleton and Joy Joukhdar

The Royals of Rosary recently returned to school after a nine day break. During this period of respite, students found themselves at home, across the country, one state over, on a softball field, or on the middle of nowhere. Here are the biggest highlights the Royal Reporter uncovered from the Royals’ fall break.

Senior Jaelynn Perez headed north for an annual camping trip to Lake Skinner in Winchester, California. “This is one of my favorite trips to take with my family every year,” says the senior. “I always look forward to games and roasting marshmallows with my immediate and extended family.”

Jaelynn Perez ’19 enjoys a family trip to Lake Skinner. Photo courtesy of Jaelynn Perez

Sofia Oseguera ’19 went out the the Glamis Sand Dunes in the Sonoran Desert to celebrate her family’s unique, annual Thanksgiving. She explains,“I love spending my Thanksgiving break at the desert. My family does it every year and it’s a good stress relief to be out in nature”

Sofia lounges on an ATV after a long day of riding in the desert. Photo courtesy of Sofia Oseguera

Not only did Royals enjoy themselves this fine break, they also enjoyed helping others! The Home Aid Club, a club on campus dedicated to serving the OC homeless population, went to the Home Aid Shelter of Orange to help serve food on Thanksgiving. Junior Grace Battaglia tells the Royal Reporter,”We loved making the families happy when we provided them with a thanksgiving celebration.”

Members of the Home Aid club snap a photo before their handiwork. Photo by Michael Battaglia

Golf was a popular activity for senior Chayse Gomez, as she went to a Thanksgiving break golf tournament in El Paso, Texas. Chayse enjoyed playing her favorite sport while in the Lone Star State with her family. “I think it was a different experience to have Thanksgiving in Texas without the whole family this year, but it was a cool change that doesn’t have to be permanent. Changing things up was kind of refreshing.”

Chayse Gomez poses with some early Christmas in El Paso, Texas. Photo by C. Gomez

Sophia Mall ’19 took a trip to Jackson, Tennessee to visit her extended family for Thanksgiving. “My family and I don’t travel very often, and we don’t really get to see my family in Tennessee, so I’m glad that when we finally did travel we got to see them.”

Sophia spent time with her family and their farm life too, as her relatives in Jackson own a pair of young goats. Photo courtesy of Sophia Mall

Alena Adamsen, a varsity softball senior, participated in a tournament in West Covina two days before Thanksgiving.  Afterward, she and her mother spent the day in West Covina together, shopping and seeing the newest Wreck-It Ralph movie. “I loved spending the day with the person who made my softball experience possible!” Lanie tells the Royal Reporter.

Senior Lanie Aadmsen reunites with a former teammate at her tournament in West Covina. Photo courtesy of Lanie Adamsen

Freshmen Lauren Cottrell traveled across the country over break. She went to New York and enjoyed what a fall somewhere where the air was actually chilly and the trees actually change color! She raved about her experience, saying,” I absolutely love New York. Its the city that never sleeps and I love the city’s constant energy! I got to see Mean Girls, which I loved, and had a great, needed trip.”

Lauren poses on Broadway prior to seeing Mean Girls. Photo provided by Lauren Cottrell.

All in all, it looks like Royals had a great break. The slept in, ate delicious food, traveled, served others, and got some well-deserved and very needed rest.  Sadly, they can’t stay on vacation forever, but believe us when we say the countdown till Christmas break has begun.