Speak To Inspire

Speak To Inspire

Caitlin McClure and Sue Kim

Last Thursday morning, two Rosary alumnae spoke in the LEC to students interested in the medical field. Katie (Godoy) Venya and Katelyn Hegarty shared their experiences and knowledge about their professions. Katie Venya is a registered nurse at Children’s Hospital in Orange County, and Katelyn Hegarty is an occupational therapist at Orange Coast Post Acute Care. These guest speakers gave advice to many Rosary students about what a career in the medical field would actually look like. These speakers gave special attention to the seniors who are currently in the process of applying to colleges and figuring out what to pursue in the college. They advised those students interested in a future career in medicine on what exactly it takes to get there.

Senior Claudia Mancha’s notes on the Speak to Inspire meeting. Photo by Claudia Mancha

Many students interested in the medical field attended this lecture in the hopes of attaining more information about a specific career field and for the chance to network and form connections with Rosary alumnae. Claudia Mancha ‘19 says, “I went to this lecture, because I want to be an occupational therapist. I learned that I don’t need a doctorate to be an occupational therapist and that I can work with the elderly, kids, or injured.”

Nicole Garcia ‘19 includes, “It was nice to hear from a nurse herself. It gave me the opportunity to hear a more personal perspective rather than simply reading off the internet or any website.” Also, Nicole was able to form connections with Mrs. Venya, who suggested shadowing opportunities with her.

Overall, the Rosary community was more than welcome to have both Katie Venya and Katelyn Hegarty inform our Royals more about the medical field.

About the Writers
Caitlin McClure, Copy Editor

Caitlin McClure is a senior and a first-time writer for the Royal Reporter. As the oldest of four, she has grown up in a constant state of chaos and never-ending...

Sue Kim, Staff Writer

Sue Kim is a senior at Rosary Academy and a first-time writer for the Royal Reporter. She spends her time binging Youtube videos, re-watching Friends episodes,...