Father-Daughter: A Night Under the Big Top

Kate Marshall and her sister Mary '22 with their dad. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Grace Battaglia and Kate Noden

Rosary Academy’s annual Father-Daughter Dance is a highly regarded tradition. Every year, our Royals and their fathers come out to eat, dance, and have a fun-filled night.

This year, “A Night Under the Big Top” was the chosen theme.

With every Father-Daughter dance comes the official “dance off.”  Each father-daughter duo is called up by grade level to show off their best dancing skills. One duo wins per grade level. This year, the Royals broke a great amount of sweat dancing for the championship.

Royals and their dads flood the dance floor. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Freshman dance contest winner Reese Loya and her father won the freshman class dance off thanks to their dynamic moves. Reese’s key to winning was simply “leaving everything we had on the dance floor.”

Freshman Reese Loya smiling with her dad post-dance-off. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Brooke Edwards and her father took home the winning title for the sophomore class. Prior to the dance-off, Brooke was so anxious that all she could say was “T-minus 10 minutes till the dance off.”

Brooke Edwards and her friends cheesin’ before the dance-off. Photo by Grace Battaglia

The Junior class could not stop cheering for their grade’s winner- Riley Hawkins and her dad. Riley stated, “That was the hardest I’ve ever worked in my entire life. Thank goodness it paid off. I am sister sweating.”

Riley and her dad: post intense dance-off. Photo by Grace Battaglia

The senior class was nonstop cheering for Maya Gutierrez and her father during the dance competition. Maya could be seen doing cartwheels and tumbling around the stage. She and her father showed a very lively spirit on the dance floor that ultimately won them the competition.

While some might say the dance-off was the highlight of the night, here is what some other Royals had to say.

Tara Fishman ’21 stated, “Some people count down the days until Christmas, I count down the days til father-daughter.”

Dennis Gomez, father of Leslie Gomez ’20 and Kelsey Gomez ’22 had a wonderful night with his daughters. He shared, “I had a great time dancing with my daughters. But my girls need more dance practice so we can take home the winning title in the dance competition next year.”

Leslie and her dad taking the dance competition loss like champions. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Freshman Emma Gonzalez was ecstatic to be at her first father-daughter dance. Like everyone, she was most excited for the dance-off; however, she was thrilled just to be there ” to experience such a fun tradition at Rosary.”

Senior Kate Marshall was very enthusiastic. She loved watching her best friend- Nikelle Walker ’19 and her father attempt to break dance. Kate said, “I have been stretching for the dance off since last year. Hopefully, my dad can pull through this year and learn how to move his arms and legs at the same time.” Lucky for Kate, she and her father made it to the final round of the dance competition.

Kate Marshall and her sister Mary ’22 with their dad. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Daniela Moran ’20 was overjoyed after winning one of the raffle prizes. She won two tickets to Prom 2019 and a gift card to Yogurtland. Daniela exclaimed, “I couldn’t believe that I won. Luck was on my side tonight. Now we just hope I can get a date to Prom.”

Daniela and her father excited over their win. Photo by Grace Battaglia

Needless to say, the Royals and their fathers danced their way through another successful Father-Daughter Dance.

About the Writers
Grace Battaglia, Staff Writer

Grace Battaglia is an enthusiastic junior at Rosary Academy. Her favorite subject is history. She is extremely excited for her junior year and to receive...

Kate Noden, Staff Writer

Kate is an energetic junior, who is ecstatic to be part of The Royal Reporter. She loves playing soccer and running track for Rosary Academy. Kate is also...