What Is Kairos?

Seniors Sofia Oseguera and Sophia Mura. Photo by Rebekah Barnabas

Rebekah Barnabas and Izzy Lopez

Two weeks ago, half of the senior class attended Kairos, the mysterious retreat that is open to all the seniors and some juniors in the spring. 

One of the most commonly asked questions is “What is Kairos?”

Kairos is a 4-day Catholic retreat. Although giving details would ruin the wonderful surprise of the retreat, the Royal Reporter interviewed many seniors and asked them about their general Kairos experience.

Senior Maya Gonzales explains, “My expectations were pretty low for Kairos because I thought it would just be another retreat, but it exceeded all expectations and hopes I ever had!”

Seniors Maya Gonzales and Caitlyn Shank on Kairos. Photo by Laura Garcia

Senior Ava Cunningham shared, “I am overjoyed that I went on Kairos. I was reintroduced to my faith in the most joyful way, I was blessed with the most amazing girls as supporters, and being on God’s time was something I did not know I needed.”

Many seniors also went into it not expecting much, but ended up really glad that they attended Kairos. As senior Marga Diaz shared, “I’m glad I went because I didn’t know I needed it, and I had a lot in common with people I didn’t really talk to before and now we’re buds!”

Senior Isabella M. Lopez also added how Kairos was not what she was expecting: “I went into Kairos expecting just a break from life and school and honestly believed it was going to be some brainwashing type of retreat, but I realized that it was a retreat that’s meant to help better ourselves and those around us. I learned that I should open up more because there might be someone going through a similar problem as well and we can be each other’s support systems.”

Kairos group “Bethy’s Busters” Photo by Laura Garcia

Some seniors received great surprises on Karios. Senior Lanie Adamsen can attest to this: “I am so happy I went on Kairos because I became closer with girls I never though I would get closer to.”

Finally, almost every senior was able to either truly encounter God for first time or reconnect with Him. Senior Angela Baltazar was so thankful she decided to go on Kairos during this busy time because as she shares, “Senior year has been crazy and I just needed a moment to breath and thank God for everything he has given to me, and Kairos was the perfect opportunity to do this.”

Senior Kate Marshall’s Kairos group. Photo by Laura Garcia

Overall, the Royal Reporter doesn’t believe a single senior regretted going on Kairos or thought it was a waste of time. As senior Kylie Villanueva stated, “I’m so, so glad I went on Kairos. I was able to grow closer to girls I didn’t know that well, and my relationships with the people I was already friends with only grew stronger. I was even able to grow closer to God, which is really cool.”

Kairos is different for every girl. Some grow closer to their existing friends. Some grow closer to God. Some grow closer to people they never really knew much of before. And some are able to do all three. But the bottom line is that Kairos is truly a priceless and unforgettable experience.

About the Writer
Rebekah Barnabas, Features Editor

Rebekah Barnabas is a senior who can be easily identified by the constant smile on her face (unless she is terribly hungry or legitimately sleep deprived)....