Royal Rebel Engineers Finish Top Ten!

Rosary's Rebel Engineers Finish in Top Ten! Photo provided by Kristen Biederstadt.

Ms. Barclay, Adviser

On Saturday, October 28th the Rebel Engineers, Rosary’s robotics team, participated in their first competition of the year: Conquer the Turning Point.

Out of 35 competitors, Rosary finished 10th, besting their previous finishes in all other competitions. Rosary’s alliance (teams paired for competitions) then went to the finals, where they won again. The Rebel Engineers also took home the Judges’ Award for their outstanding articulation of the design process.

The Judges Award. Photo provided by Kristen Biederstadt.

Although Rosary lost in the quarterfinals to the alliance that eventually finished second, the Rebel Engineers competed against power house robotics high school programs, including Irvine, Beckman, Foothill, Chadwick (Palos Verdes), LaSalle, Vista Murrieta, and Damien and held their own. Rosary even placed higher than brother school Servite, who ended in 26th place.

Composed of only two sophomores and three freshmen, the Rebel Engineers built “Belle,” their robot, by trying out design ideas, consulting YouTube videos, and getting systems engineering advice from a Rosary dad.  Belle’s job was to pick up caps, flip them over, and place them on a pole. However, they also had to play defense against other teams’ robots in order to protect their points.

Meet “Belle,” the Rebel Engineers’ robot. Photo provided by Kristen Biederstadt.

The Rebel Engineers even programmed Belle to operate during the 15-second autonomous portion–something the Royals have never managed to do before.  Belle’s advanced performance shows the evolution of the team’s engineering prowess.

Sophomore Kristen Biederstadt shared, “Being on the Rebel Engineers is a lot of fun.  I especially enjoy getting to know other students and team up to compete and design robots.”  Joining the team as a freshman, Kristen enjoys the challenge robotics provides. Plugging her team, “If you’re willing to learn, there’s a spot for you on the team, and you don’t need to specialize in coding or designing to join.  You could take pictures or fill out the engineering notebook.”

Team moderator Mrs. Nutt said, “This team is not about drama.  It’s a cohesive group who genuinely likes each other.  They are always interested in doing their best, and they have gone farther than any robotics team at Rosary so far.”

In line with the sentiments she shared as the junior class speaker on Rosary Day earlier this year, Mrs. Nutt spoke of the club’s importance on campus: “This is the wave of the future and it gives the girls exposure to the STEM world, which is dominated by males.  Yet you HAVE to compete in this world.  You have to get out there and do it.”

The 5 talented Rebel Engineers: Sophomores Jasmine Vodhanel and Kristen Beiderstadt and freshmen Emily La, Rhea Sigur, and Katie Fang have made their classmates and Academy proud!