Teachers’ Past Jobs

Mrs.+Rosales+posing+with+a+student.+Photo+by+Theresa+Ceman+
Mrs. Rosales posing with a student. Photo by Theresa Ceman

Theresa Ceman, Staff Writer

Most students are only able to see one side of their teachers–what they are like as the head of their classroom. But what about before their teaching days?  You know . . . before they came to Rosary.

Mrs. Ward said, “At 15, I started working at the local (it was called Family Fitness) 24-hour Fitness in the daycare there. And that was fun because babies are fun. I also babysat from the time I was 11 until I was 19 when I went away to school. I also got a job in a tuxedo shop when I was in high school, and that was funny because, of course, you get to measure cute boys, but then I went away to college so I had to quit that job.”

Mrs. Ward also had many jobs after high school which include working at a pool hall, Nordstrom’s, and with her dad in vending machines. She says, “In the 1990s, pool was like the activity to do, so I made pizzas and sandwiches and handed out ball racks, but then I quit that job because they wouldn’t give me a raise. I went to Nordstrom’s during the half-yearly sale, and they had me doing something called dump, and my job was to literally empty the dressing rooms between people changing and there would be so many clothes; it was like a closet exploded or a rack collapsed and you would have to hang them all up and put them all back where they belonged!”

One of Rosary’s security guards Maurice had many cool jobs before working at Rosary. He says ” Straight out of high school, I went to a trade school, and I worked in carpentry. After that, I worked in digital computers, where I would put the computers together–that was a really fun job back in Springfield Massachusetts. Another one of my fun jobs, I was a Meter Reader, and I’d check the reading on the meter that sticks out the side of your house, your electrical meter. I did that for about 10 years back in Connecticut. I was also a personal trainer to Sloane Stephens, a professional athlete. She was a professional tennis player and I toured with her her all over the world. I went to Madrid, Australia, and several parts of the United States. And now I work over at Rosary Academy which is a job that I really enjoy because I really love the girls!”

Maurice on the job! Photo by Theresa Ceman

Religion teacher, Mrs. Rosales shared, “I worked at a parish in Corona. I was there for a good amount of time about twelve or fifteen years, something like that. I was the youth minister and later I became the director and it was fun. My favorite part was working with the youth, and doing youth nights and retreats and working with the teams I put together,”  She never thought she would be working at Rosary and said it happened kind of out of the blue, but nonetheless she loves it.

Mrs. Simonton sitting in her room. Photo by Theresa Ceman

“The past job that comes to mind that was one of my favorites was being a social director at a tennis club when I was in my early twenties,” says Mrs. Simonton, exercise science teacher and head tennis coach. “I finished playing on the pro tour and wanted to stay connected to athletics and in tennis.” She adds and explains that her job was to bring the adult membership people together to do all kinds of crazy activities, like getting them in a sheet and to act like an elongated animal running around doing a scavenger hunt. “Those were some really good memories of an early job I had similar to the industry I am still in and it brought a lot of fun and joy to people that I got to work with.”

The teachers here at Rosary are so much more than what you may see in the classroom. If you have any extra time one day, try and talk to your teacher, you may find out some pretty unexpected or interesting!