All Saint’s Day

All Saint’s Day

Caitlin McClure and Evelyn Zhao

How many of you know about All Saints’ Day? For most people, the day after Halloween is spent recovering from a night of scares and the terrifying amount of sugary treats.  For us Catholics, however, this day is spent in church celebrating the saints. We here at the Royal Reporter helped shed some light onto this, sometimes forgotten, Catholic holy day of obligation.

When asked about All Saints’ Day, Rosary students had a couple different answers. Natalie Ruiz ’19 said, “Isn’t it just a day where we celebrate the saints?” Kristina Enright ’21 stated, “I believe its a day where you honor all the saints. And I think it is celebrated by Catholics.”–Well yes, and no.

All Saints’ Day, which is on November 1st, is a celebration of all the saints from Christian history. It is celebrated by many different Christian faiths, not just Catholics. Now, we know you’re probably wondering, ‘Why is it so close to Halloween?’ The day after Halloween doesn’t exactly seem like a great day for a Christian celebration. However, Halloween, or Hallow’s Eve, actually translates to ‘the evening of the holy persons.’ Which means Halloween is actually a pre-celebration for All Saints’ Day.

Hallow’s Eve Celebration in Poland. Photo provided by Wikimedia

On All Saints’ Day you can find many people attending mass or holding some sort of worship in order to commemorate the holy saints. Mrs. Rosales, a religion teacher at Rosary Academy, says, “All Saints’ Day is a day in the church that we remember the holy men and women who died before us. Although they are no longer in this world, they are still with us. We can always pray and ask for help when we have lost our direction.”

During Rosary’s All Saints’ Day Mass, Father Bill Barman spoke of the importance of caring for others, which reminds us to treasure our loved ones while we have them with us.

Hopefully this gives you a little more insight onto this Catholic holy day, All Saints’ Day.

About the Writer
Evelyn Zhao, Staff writer

Evelyn Zhao is a new international student from China who would love to be a Royal Reporter this year. Everything not only in the school but also in the...