Academy Candy: Who Has the Best Bowl?

Claire Nicodemus '19 and Jaelynn Perez '19 love Halloween because of all the candy that the teachers give to Rosary students. Photo by Holly Middleton

Halloween is one of the best times of the year: the chilly fall air, the pumpkin desserts, the colorful and crazy costumes, and most importantly–the candy.

Candy is an integral aspect of fall life at the academy. Most teachers give out candy or have a jar full of it, which led to Rosary students asking the most pressing question of all time: Mirror mirror on the wall, which candy jar is the best of them all?

The various students of Rosary Academy have, over the years, determined which bowl is their favorite. Some may be biased because of which teachers they may have in their schedules, but in the end the candy decides all.

Claire Nicodemus ’19 prefers Ms. Young’s basket the most because “it’s always stocked and has a great variety, so I can change it up every time to I go to the basket.”

Julia Clift-Toth ’20 poses with Ms. Young’s highly regarded “Brain Food”. Photo by Holly Middleton

Kaleigh Dreyer ‘19 reminisces about her days in room 208 with Ms Barclay: “I remember having a bunch of fun in journalism last year, and the candy that Ms. Barclay generously gave us made class even better.”

Senior Erica Barton showcases Ms. Barclay’s Halloween-themed candy jar. Photo by Holly Middleton

“I like that Dr. Villasenor lets her students bring the candy,” explains Julia Clift-Toth ‘20. “It allows us to have the good stuff that we all like rather than some random candy that some of us think is a bit gross.”

Seniors Marissa Lopez and Kaleigh Dreyer have a friendly debate as to who has the best candy jar on campus. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

Shae Racobs ‘21 thinks Mr. Lyons is a great teacher and has a great candy jar, too. “The mints he has in his big glass jar are really good. I love that they kind of melt in your mouth. I also love that you can always count on Mr. Lyons to have those mints.” Shae enjoys that you can always count on at least one type of candy always being in room 205. 

Senior Rebekah Barnabas poses with Dr. Villasenor’s raided candy box. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

Hayley Johnson ‘20 provides a simpler reason to explain which candy jar is her favorite: “Ms. Barclay has the prettiest jar. That’s it, that’s the tweet.”

Mr. Chavez barely had candy out, but when he did, it was a nice way to end class. It was like–congrats! You made it through law today! Here’s a caramel covered lollipop!” explains Joy Joukhadar ’19–who personally prays to Ms. Young’s delicious candy jar every sun down and sunset, but wanted to give the Cha™ (copyright to the lacrosse team) some credit.

Senior Marissa Lopez laments the loss of the M&M’s that she missed out on after Mr. Chavez’s candy supply was raided. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

All in all, every student is very appreciative of all the teachers who give them candy and let them eat it in class, but everyone has a favorite. Who do you think has the best candy on campus?

About the Writers
Joy Joukhadar, Editor-in-Chief

Joy Joukhadar is a passionate senior who can be spotted walking around campus with a tub of ice cream. She can't wait for her final year at the Academy...

Holly Middleton, Sports Editor

Holly "LAX GOD" Middleton is a senior at Rosary Academy. She is excited to spend time with her friends, learn new things, and experience her last Red and...