Fall-ing for New Books

Fall-ing for New Books

Sophomore book lovers Taylor Bastidas and Nikki Culver
Photo by Tina Enright

Sophomore book lovers Taylor Bastidas and Nikki Culver Photo by Tina Enright

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

Although it may not seem like it yet, fall has officially arrived. You may soon begin to notice slight changes in your surroundings as you walk outside and feel the long-awaited breeze brush against your skin. You might begin to notice the first few trees change from a dreary brown-green assortment of leaves to more alluring sight of reds and yellows. With the familiar scent of autumn in the air, it’s the perfect time to open up the book on your shelf, sit out in nature, and read away.

Some students of Rosary Academy have made some fabulous book recommendations that are perfect for the autumn season.

Sophomore Taylor Bastidas tells us about her favorite fall read: “A Quiet Kind Of Thunder by Sara Barnard is a story about a really anxious mute girl who falls in love with a deaf boy who transfers to her school. They end up becoming best friends, and it’s really cute because they speak sign language together. It’s a really cute and enjoyable book that really hooks you in somehow, even though it’s a romance book. Normally that’s not my style, but it’s actually a really really fun read. So go curl up by a campfire and read it.”

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Photo by Tina Enright

The Honors English sophomores are currently reading The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe. Nikki Culver ’21 exclaims, “Werther Werther Werther is AMAZING – enough said.” First published in 1774, The Sorrows of Young Werther is loosely considered to be an autobiography of Goethe himself as he dealt with his own personal struggles. It’s considered one of the most important novels in German literature, greatly influencing the later Romantic movement. To find out more, go find a sophomore.

Taylor adds, “Any books Mr. Bevins recommends are honestly the greatest ones you could ever possibly read. The ones we’ve read with him have been really good – even Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. Even though it’s really messed up, it’s a really really good read so far and has really sucked me in.” CP sophomores are reading Shanghai Girls, which is a book exploring the struggles immigrants endure as they journey to America. If you need a book to read, go to your local bookstore and check this one out.

These are just a few of the countless book options you have this fall. Take some time in these next few weeks to enjoy some good reads as you happily breathe in the fresh autumn air.