Parks and Rec vs. The Office

It%27s+time+to+debate.+Who%27s+better+Parks+and+Recreation+or+the+Office.%0A+%0APhoto+borrowed+from+theodysseyonline.com+
It's time to debate. Who's better Parks and Recreation or the Office.

Photo borrowed from theodysseyonline.com

It's time to debate. Who's better Parks and Recreation or the Office. Photo borrowed from theodysseyonline.com

Caitlin McClure and Rebekah Barnabas

Here at the Royal Reporter, we only tackle the most important and divisive issues. So, of course now it’s time to talk about the shows Parks and Recreation and The Office.

Parks and Rec or The Office? Truly an indisputable debate. While most students at the Academy swear by their beloved show, The Office, others have come to love Parks and Rec. But which one is better?

The Office, first airing in 2005, captured the hearts of its viewers with its simple and relatable ‘office’ humor. It popularized the mockumentary style of filming. Its simple yet eccentric cast of characters kept viewers coming for more.

Parks and Rec is often seen as the follow-up to the office. It borrows the iconic mockumentary style of filming from The Office but applies it to a different scenario. Instead of poking fun at typical office antics, it details the adventures and mishaps at the local Parks and Recreation department at Pawnee.

According to sophomore Serena Park, “Parks and Rec is way better than The Office. The Office gets a little bit boring after you watch like the first 3 seasons. Parks and Rec just keeps going, keeps getting better.” In the words of sophomore Caroline Linton, “I feel like Parks and Rec has a more solid story line and it’s just funnier. There’s a lot of character development in Parks and Rec but in The Office, they kind of just stay the same.”

Quote from Parks and Recreation
Photo borrowed from NBC

However, many Royals swear by The Office. Senior Marga Diaz states, “I like The Office because it makes you feel like you’re in the show and allows you to live characters that are pretty similar to people in real life, no lie.” Another senior Isabella M. Lopez says, “The Office of course is better because I can relate so much to Jim and I imagine him at school sometimes.”

Quote from The Office
Photo borrowed from NBC

Now listen, we love both of these shows. Even though they both use the mockumentary type of filming, they are completely different shows. Nothing can compare to Parks and Rec’s lil Sebastian just as no one can compare to The Office’s Dwight and his beet farm. Both of these shows have hard-core fans and trust us, we don’t want to anger either fan base. So whether or not you’re “bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica” all the way or a lover of all things breakfast related, let us know in the comments below.