Pumpkin Palooza

Royals pose with a spooky jack-o-lantern. Photo by Marissa Pennino

Marissa Pennino, News Editor

With the arrival of the fall season comes the arrival of the infamous gourd: the pumpkin. Fruit? Vegetable? Who knows. Pumpkins are everywhere: on Starbucks’ menu, in the Target fall décor aisle, and even at your local Ralph’s. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they are the paradigm of fall festivities.  

Here’s the breakdown on everything pumpkin: 

Pumpkin Spice Latte:

The ever-so-popular PSL, the insignia of fall. Photo by Marissa Pennino

Ahh, the infamous PSL. This concoction of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg is either strongly hated or adored. It’s Starbucks’ fall trademark, and its debut every autumn brings waves of crowds rushing in. Senior Kylie Villanueva is a huge fan: “Pumpkin spice lattes are my favorite fall drink. They’re pretty sweet though, so I can only have them every so often.”  However, Ms. Barclay, finds pumpkin spice lattes revolting: “I don’t understand it.  I tell students they must drink it at least 25 feet away, which means some of my students have to position their desks outside to watch class through the window as they finish their PSL.  Please don’t ever speak of them again.”

Pumpkin pie:

The quintessential fall dessert, this immaculate creation will most likely make an appearance on your Thanksgiving dining table. Junior Bridget Crowley, though, strongly disagrees: “Pumpkin Pie is where fall goes to die…it’s disgusting. Pumpkin bread holds the true holiday spirit.” Pumpkin pie haters complain about the unconventional texture and flavor of the pie. But despite the unnecessary criticism, there’s no denying that pumpkin pie is the epitome of the fall season. 

Pumpkin carving:

Pumpkin carving is the perfect activity to express your brilliant artistry. Grab your knives, favorite design, and whittle away. Senior Sofia Velazquez lives her life by this motto: “It’s not fall unless you carve a pumpkin.”  

A plethora of pumpkins can be found at your local Ralph’s. Photo by Marissa Pennino

Pumpkin patches:

The first day of October every year, sketchy parking lots all over Orange County are transformed into pumpkin wonderlands. Some of them might even have a couple of goats, perhaps even a sheep, corralled in a pen in the corner. Because if I was a goat, I would definitely want to be stroked by 6-year-olds all day on the corner of Lambert and Beach. But back to pumpkins—pumpkin patches are great. Go with friends, have fun, pick the perfect pumpkin, and take some trendy pictures for the ‘gram. If you want the real deal, head on over to Cal Poly Pomona’s pumpkin patch to pick your own plump gourd from the vine.  

What’s your favorite thing about pumpkins? Let us know down below!