Cultural Festivals around the World

The Full moon at Mid-autumn festival
Photo by Evelyn Zhao

The Full moon at Mid-autumn festival Photo by Evelyn Zhao

Evelyn Zhao, Staff Writer

Festivals are a great way to experience a faraway destination in a unique and different way. With several hundred festivals all over the world every month- other than Thanksgiving and Christmas –how many do you know?

Mid-Autumn Festival, which just passed one week ago, is a harvest festival celebrated notably by the Chinese and Vietnamese people. The festival is held on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar with a full moon at night. It is also the second most important festival in China just after Chinese New Year.

Emily Jin, who is a freshmen international student from China, said, “Mid-autumn Festival is celebrated when the moon is believed to be the biggest and fullest, and moon cake is the main characteristic festival food. What’s more,” she added, “to the Chinese, the festival means family reunion and harmony because we believe that a full moon is a symbol of reunion, harmony, and happiness.”

Particularly on the evening of Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinese people get together with their families. After dinner, the family traditionally enjoys the moon together in the belief that the moon will bring them good luck.

There are other festivals you might also have not heard of.

Dr. Leticia Villasenor, teacher of French and AP European History, used to live in France. She shares, “When I lived in France, one of the

Dr. Leticia Villasenor attended to the  ‘Salon International de l’agriculture festival’.  Photo by Dr. Villasenor.

festivals we went to was the ‘Salon International de l’agriculture.’ It is an annual agricultural show and trade fair that takes place at the end of February or beginning of March at the Paris expo Porte de Versailles in Paris, France.” Salon international de l’agriculture is one of the world’s largest and most important agricultural shows, drawing larger crowds than any other festival in Paris, except the Foire de Paris.

One of my old teachers who is Canadian and settled in China says, “The most fascinating festival in Canada must be the Quebec Winter Carnival.” She also says, “The Quebec Winter Carnival is the biggest winter carnival in the world and is celebrated annually at the end of January until mid-February. People will build an ice palace for Bonhomme Carnaval, which is the mascot of the carnival.”

Leslie Leuterio ’20, who comes from the Philippines, said, “The most interesting festival in the Philippines is the Giant Lantern Festival.” The Giant Lantern Festival takes place in San Fernando, Philippines, and is considered the capital Christmas in the Philippines. She also said, “It is a really big Christmas festival where we show off lanterns made by the natives. Different lanterns make the festival more interesting.”

A cultural festival is a celebration of unique traditions and is a way to inherit ancient cultures from around the world. They create opportunities to the people of different communities to share their feelings, exchange their ideas and thoughts and increase the relations among people.