Blue The School

Amelia Fiorentino and Alyah Medina, sophomores, posing beneath the blue. Photo by Caitlin McClure

Caitlin McClure and Ella Shi

This past Monday, the Academy was decked out in all blue. Students were sporting their blue shirts while walking on blue chalk messages surrounded by blue posters. We know, a lot of blue. But trust us, there was a reason for all this blue madness. Rosary was all decked out in support of Anti-bullying day.

Claudia Mancha ’19, who is both a PAL and ASB member, said, “I think this day is really important because it serves as reminder to everyone that even if you haven’t experienced bullying, we should all promote kindness.” Claudia Mancha as well as the other PAL and ASB members arrived early to help decorate the school.

“Bee Cool” says one of the many “bee” related chalk messages around the school. Photo By: Caitlin McClure

The school was covered in chalk messages telling everyone to ‘bee’ kind. Blue posters were also placed all around school with positive messages for the student body.

Juniors and Seniors were treated to an empowering and emotional speech from guest speaker Katie Koestner, who gave a moving speech about her experience with sexual assault. Senior Natalie Ruiz ‘19 when asked about the Koestner speech said, “I thought she was a really great and endearing speaker. The topic was really intense, but I felt like she talked about issues that most girls think about but are too afraid to say out loud.”

Freshmen and sophomores also engaged in a dialogue about sexual assault with speaker, Gordon Baxter. The discussion was set up as an open platform where students were allowed to ask questions and share their opinions in the hopes of starting a conversation. Sophomore Hailey McCarthy ‘21 said, “I thought it was very interesting to have a male speaker come in. Rather than defining sexual assault, he told a story and opened the floor to us so that we could share our opinions and thoughts. I believe it is something people need to do more often.”

One of the many posters decorating the school.
Photo by: Caitlin McClure

At lunch, house families got together to celebrate Blue the School with a family potluck. Sophomore Maria Garcia ‘21 said, “The house potluck was really fun. There was a ton of good food. I got the chance to talk to more of the people in my house, and I got to know more about students from the other grade levels.”