Rosary’s Best Dressed

Royals in Mrs. Hunts and Mr. Faubls house, Mother Bernard. Photo by Mrs. Hunt

Holly Middleton and Hailey McCarthy

House, the recent addition to Rosary Academy’s arsenal of activities to increase sisterhood, has done it again with an exciting house competition. Students were asked to get into groups of four to six and design a homecoming dress using toilet paper and anything found in the classroom in fifteen minutes. This has to be done within the parameters of the Rosary dress code.

That’s right – three inches above the knee or longer, no open back, close-toed shoes, two inch or thicker straps – the whole enchilada of dress code stipulations. After a group chose and dressed a model, they snapped a photo of the dress – front and back, dress-check style. This photo was sent to Dean Nanry for the ultimate dress-check.

After 24 hours of thorough deliberation, Ms. Nanry declared the winner to be Ms. Lanctot and Mrs. Simonton’s House, Sr. Jeanne Byrd.

Senior Taylor Roberts models the winning toilet paper dress. Photo courtesy of Ms. Nanry

The backside of the winning dress, as per the directions of a proper dress check. Photo courtesy of Ms. Nanry

Despite the fact that they did not win, some students from other houses were excited to comment on the experience. Sascha Portero ’21 explains, “Creating a dress suitable for a Rosary event using only toilet paper and tape was not easy, but it was a lot of fun. I feel like I got to know my big sister better because this activity served as a bonding experience for all of us.”

Emma Eyler ’21, pictured in the featured image, tells the Royal Reporter, “At first I was opposed to be modeling the toilet paper dress, but once my group started making it, I enjoyed the experience. I thought all of us did a great job on the dresses even though we weren’t the chosen winners.”

Students are looking forward to the next house activity with their sisters, and hope to continue doing different and exciting activities during a long school day.