Marissa’s Rage

Marissa’s Rage

2018 Homecoming King Connor Buchanan '19 and Queen Kate Marshall. Photo by Servite High School

Kiren Grewal, Managing Editor

Saturday, Sept. 22 was the biggest event of the fall season: Homecoming.

Royals, Friars, and Koalas dressed their best, walked the red carpet, danced the night away, and maybe even scored a royal flush in poker.

At the end of the night, all eyes were on the homecoming court to see who would be the 2018 Homecoming King and Queen.

Rosary’s senior princesses fake a smile for the cameras to hide their thirst for the crown. Photo by Linda Pennino

On the outside, Rosary seniors Naomi Dodd, Marissa Pennino, and Kate Marshall seemed to all love each other and disregard winning. However, behind the scenes, it was a ruthless battle for the crown.

Finally, the 2018 Homecoming King and Queen was to be announced. This year’s Homecoming King was Servite’s Secretary General, Connor Buchanan ’19. When announced, freshman squeals were heard throughout the crowd as the Friar stepped forward to be crowned. But the big question . . . who would be queen?

Marissa sweated profusely, Kate’s heart pounded, but Naomi just thought about the In-N-Out she would get after the dance.

“The 2018 Homecoming Queen is…Kate Marshall!” Cheers erupted from the crowd; Naomi “felt the relief hit[her] shoulders when [her] name was not called.” On the other hand, Marissa sulked in the shadows, hiding behind a fabricated smile.

Although Kate never expected to win, she took great pleasure in Marissa’s “L.”

Marissa breaking a pencil because she is being consumed by her rage. Photo by Kiren Grewal.

“Beating Marissa was the absolute highlight of my high school life thus far as it has been my lifelong goal to beat her in something.”

Bewildered that she lost, Marissa was sent into a blind rage. She truly believed that the crown was hers and when her defeat was announced she “was just about ready to throw away [her] flowers and burn [her] sash.”

Now that she won the crown, Kate felt unstoppable. “With the very important title of homecoming queen, I think my first order of business will be taking over the world. Once that’s completed, I’ll probably just take a lot of naps and eat a lot of Chick-Fil-A.”

But Kate better watch out because at this very moment, Rosary’s very own Marissa Pennino is plotting her revenge and is ready to steal back the crown that she believes is rightfully hers.

About the Writer
Kiren Grewal, Managing Editor

When she is not slaying her opponents on the tennis court, Kiren Grewal is a diligent academic at Rosary Academy.  Also involved in a plethora of school...