Coffee Corner

A quick rendezvous after a tennis match at Philz Coffee. Photo by Marissa Pennino

Marissa Pennino, News Editor

Six letters, two syllables. Hint: it’s almost every high school student’s staple. Coffee. 

Whether it’s used for late-night studying or as an early morning wakeup, coffee is quite a spectacular beverage. So, as a caffeine addict myself, I found it only fitting to review the best cup of coffee. I scoured across the deepest, darkest ends of the earth, in search of the perfect cup of caffeine.  

Starbucks: I know what you’re thinking: basic, right? But I had to put an end to this sad attempt at coffee. To put it plainly, Starbucks simply isn’t good coffee: the sour, acerbic aftertaste stings my taste buds. It is essentially the more expensive, lesser version of Dunkin’ Donuts. Personally, I think there are plenty of better coffee joints out there.  

Dunkin Donuts: Commonly seen as the arch nemesis of Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts infuses two classics, donuts and coffee. Senior Marga Diaz raved, “The iced coffee is the best I’ve had. It’s the perfect mix of cream, sugar, and caffeine. Plus, it’s only $2.08.” Dunkin’ Donuts’ affordable prices make it a fan favorite among Rosary students. 

Philz Coffee: Known for its infamous “mint mojito” iced coffee, Philz hits it out of the ballpark in both creativity and taste. The only downside? The price. A large (which equates to between a grande and a venti at Starbucks) costs a whopping $5.60. Senior Naomi Dodd agrees: “Philz coffee is by far the best coffee I’ve ever had; it’s pretty pricy, but to me, it is definitely worth it.” If you’re looking to treat yourself, Philz is the spot.  

Philz Coffee has a picture-perfect aesthetic for the ‘gram. Photo by Marissa Pennino

Tierra Mia: Located in La Habra, Tierra Mia is another super trendy coffee shop. It stands in the middle as far as prices go; my large iced coffee was around $3.40. Senior Delailah De La Hoya is a huge fan: “I always stop at Tierra Mia on my way to school; it’s personally my favorite coffee shop.” My own coffee experience here was a perfect balance between sweet and strong.   

Lift Coffee Roasters: Pocketed in the beautiful suburbs of Whittier, Lift Coffee delivers on the small-town, local coffee shop feel. My iced Americano with soy milk gave me a plethora of energy for the long night of studying I had ahead of me. A 12 oz latte, equivalent to a tall at Starbucks, costs around $4.50, making it a tad pricy. But if you’re looking for a quality, small business to support, Lift is the coffee shop for you. 

Taking all aspects into consideration, Dunkin’ takes the dub. It’s reasonably priced, there are a plethora of locations, and the coffee is satiating.  Now you know where to go next late start! 

Dunkin takes home this dub. Photo by Marissa Pennino